Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Back EMF Voltage in single phase AC.
- - By - Date 06-01-2005 23:40
Question #1:

Hi I have a query.

I live in Australia ...

We have 240V 50Hz AC.

I have a litte copper cored single phase welder that can draw up to 15 Amps = 3600W.

This comes out on the low voltage output as 45 OCV @ 160A, and on the high voltage output as 75 OCV @ 130A.

I am converting it into an AC / DC welder.

I am making up a GANG of 1000V bridge rectification diodes to carry 200A.

I have been informed that when the welding ceases, there is a back EMF of as an unyet determined amount... probably in the vicinity of 600V.

Can any one there give me an idea from their own experience, what the voltage on the back EMF actually is - or is around?

Question #2:

Secondly I figure that to limit or dump the back EMF, to keep it below say 500V, I could use a set of resistors in parrallel, such as a high current resistor (? undetermined value) and a simple light bulb (40W 240 V), so that the light would luminate and consume the excess power from the back EMF, once it rose to a specified voltage.

(bulbs are cheap and come in a huge amount of power ratings - 25W - 100W+ and ceramic resistors are dirt cheap too)

So does anyone who is qualified to have an opinion on this, have either their own experience or have knowledge of quenching and limiting the back EMF via similar methods?

Awaiting your reply

Shane.

Parent - By Arcandflash (**) Date 06-02-2005 19:20
Hi Shane,
There is a voltage transient generated when the arc is broken and the field in any inductor collapses. The inductor can be in the form of a physical inductor (sometimes called reactor, choke or coil) used to smooth the DC current in the circuit or it can be in the form of distributed inductance typically from the leads to the electrode. I haven't measured these spikes but they are likely very short in duration (microseconds-milliseconds range).

If you look at the diodes in commercial welders you'll find they have a breakdown voltage (PRV) of about 150-200V so your 1KV diodes will be fine. You can shunt them with 0.01ufd capacitors which will bypass the transients. You can also put 120V varistors (MOVs) across the output leads. I specify that value since it will work and being in North America they are readily available because of our nominal 120V power source. Forget about trying to diminish the transient by loading it with a resistor. You would have to be very careful to keep the inductance in the resistor and its leads very low to ensure effectiveness with short transients.

I built a rectifier unit for my old Miller 225A, 80VAC open-circuit on the low-current range.

I used 12 35A, 600V bridge rectifiers with a 0.01ufd capacitor on each diode of each rectifier and a MOV across the DC terminals of each bridge package. I think all the capacitors were overkill but it made me feel better; probably could have just used 4 in a suitable location in the physical circuit.

If you are using multiple diodes you must ensure the load through each diode is balanced so the diode with the lowest conduction voltage doesn't try and supply all the current and self-destruct. The next lowest diode will then try to supply the current and pretty soon they have all blown.

I used equal 18" lengths of #18 wire (if I recall correctly) when wiring the AC to the bridges and for the DC from the bridges. Each wire was about 0.01 ohm and the 4 for each bridge gave an equivalent resistance of 0.04 ohm. At 120A welding current, there should be about 10A through each diode and the resistance would give 0.4V drop. So if one diode tried to provide say 20A the drop would be trying to go to 0.8V which would slide the diode back significantly on its conduction curve.

Note that the wire resistor also helps quench the transients mentioned above since the resistor is in series with the capacitors and MOV installed across each diode on the bridge package.

You might want to consider beefing up the current capacity of your bridge unit. For my Miller, the voltage-current curves shows that it can supply up to 325A when short-circuited ( rod stuck down) at a high current setting. Since the welder goes into constant current mode the current is not likely to blow your diodes up in a microsecond. They will likely heat up and degrade through that mechanism. It is easy and cheap to do it now for peace of mind.

I mounted all my bridges on an aluminum heatsink which was cooled by a fan. You want to try and keep the bridges at close to the same temperature which will help keep their characteristics identical. I also bought all my bridges at once so their date code is the same. This means their characteristics have a better chance of being similar. Don't think this is a big deal but it is a help.

Good Luck.

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Back EMF Voltage in single phase AC.