Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Post pictures here?
- - By labtechy (*) Date 06-03-2005 19:20
I have a few interesting photos of welds taken during the inspection process and macro etched. Is it possible to post these here. These pictures show a crack in a mast arm sign post. I have been doing an investigation on the cause of these cracks. (Many mast arm sign posts show cracking) I would really be interested in what some of these experts have to say.
Thanks.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 06-04-2005 00:03
labtechy,

You can't post directly (upload) on this forum but you can use a site such as photobucket.com to store your photographs. Each photograph has its own url and tags. The basic service is free. You copy the url for a particular photograph then paste it in your post. Here is an example, just ckick on the link:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/welding01/f7e7dc1a.jpg

This is a 1" test coupon I etched a couple of weeks ago. Note the huge pore of porosity in the cap.

~thirdeye~
Parent - By labtechy (*) Date 06-06-2005 16:31
Thanks for the info. Afte several tries, I found I can't acess this site from work. Guess this is a no-go-
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-14-2005 13:53
I'm curious if these were hot-dip galvanized.
John Wright
Parent - By labtechy (*) Date 06-15-2005 19:32
Yes they were hot dipped galvanized. A mast arm is a piece of tubing welded into a socket on a plate. The cracking appears on the thinner member. The crack grows due to the fatigue from constant swing back and forth from traffic passing under it or the wind.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Post pictures here?