Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CGA Numbers for Regulator Outfit
- - By JohnPhillips Date 11-08-2000 00:40
I have always wanted to learn to weld, and now that I can afford more expensive toys, I am going to do it. I have read (Welder's Handbook) that gas welding is very useful and will provide a good foundation for learning other kinds of welding.

I am looking to buy a gas welding outfit, maybe a Victor, but I am confused by the CGA numbers. For example, BRWELDING.com has these Victor outfits for sale, and you can buy either a CGA 300 kit or a CGA 510 kit, yet the components are apparently the same!

What is the difference, and what does this number determine?

These outfits come with almost everything else you need to get started. Is it a good idea to buy one of these or should I buy equipment piece by piece.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

John Phillips
johncphillips@mindspring.com
Parent - - By JohnPhillips Date 11-09-2000 08:48
I think I have figured out that this CGA number is the regulator inlet connector, but what does this mean?

I thought all oxygen tanks had the same connector, and so on. Which type of inlet connector will I get if I go buy tanks locally?

Thanks,

John Phillips
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 12-06-2000 02:40
The CGA300 and CGA510 are referring to the Acetylene nut and nipple on the regulator- Air Liquide is the only company that uses a different fitting for the Acetylene. Your welding supplier will have the proper CGA fittings on their equipment with relation to the gas that they sell.
Parent - - By steveho (*) Date 12-06-2000 19:12
As we use only some Air-Liquide gases here in California, I checked my Propelene bottle and regulators finding CGA-510 on our "Propelene" regulators. On our (Non-Air Liquide) "Acetelene" bottles we also are using CGA-510's. These numbers are stamped on the inlet side's threaded nut. As the only other readily found CGA markings I'm seeing, are on the O2's regulator's inlet fitting. It is CGA-540, I don't see where the/your CGA-310 is from. Hope this's a little help, neither myself nor our Air-Liquide sales rep. see where one of your query's replies stated 'only Air-Liquide sizes them different' and what that guy was trying to say.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-07-2000 13:20
I am a Welding Engineer for Air Liquide and noticed the questions on CGA connections. Aceteylene has 4 different connections that were used before the 510 was generally agreed to be the "standard". However you will still find the other connections a fair amount. They are CGA 300, 510, 520, and 200. I suspect that the 510 may have been misread as a 310. You can get a list of the various CGA connections from the Air Liquide gas data book on page 43. You can probably get this information from lots of other places, internet, etc. as well
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 11-09-2000 10:49
Why don't you just ask the manufacturer?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-07-2000 03:30
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here but so be it! The welders handbook is correct when it states that the Oxy-Fuel processes are excellent building blocks for a foundation in the welding trades. However if you really want to learn I encourage you to spend time at your Local Jr. College before you lay down your cash for equipment. After even one semester you will have the knowledge and more importantly the Skills and practical safety instruction behind you to apply to those toys that are dancing in your head. Jr. College welding classes are rarely boring. I have seen more Roll cages, race cars, mountain bikes, bumpers, hitches, and even exotics being welded on the benches at some of the more progressive Jr. Colleges I've visited or attended than in most job shops. To the Eager student it is like a treasure trove, Oxy-fuel, Stick, Tig, Mig <shudder>, plasma, pattern cutters, all the stuff you dream about playing with, they have waiting. You will also recieve the added benefit of watching others troubleshoot their own projects, this will save you from making your own mistakes later. The cost is minimal and when you walk away you will know exactly what you need and how to use it.

Enjoy the Trades

Lawrence Bower
Education development
United Airlines
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CGA Numbers for Regulator Outfit