Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Questions
- - By white2kta Date 06-06-2005 16:43
I'm looking for the differences between TIG and MIG welding. I've fooled around with a MIG welder, never a TIG. For the life of me I can't find any really good resource for differentiating between the two of them. I know they stand for Tungsten Inert Gas and Magnesium Inert Gas respectively, but I really don't know what the perks and drawbacks are of either of them. Sorry if this is something regularly asked by newbies but I'm at a loss!
Parent - By QCCWI (***) Date 06-06-2005 17:12
MIG is Metal Inert Gas. Mig welding is faster than TIG welding. TIG welding requires more skill that MIG welding.MIG welding is the same at FCAW-G except MIG uses a solid wire while FCAW uses a flux cored elctrode. TIG uses a a piece of Tungsten to carry the arc while you dip an electrode into the puddle. Basically MIG is grab the trigger and go. TIG is steady hands and lots of talent. Anyone can run nice looking welds with MIG, but it takes a welder to run nice looking welds with TIG.
Parent - - By rsliker (*) Date 06-06-2005 17:41
TIG is a nonstandard term for GTAW, which stands for gas tungsten arc welding. Mig is another nonstandard term for GMAW which is gas metal arc welding.
Both being gas shielded arc welding processes, the primary difference is in the way that filler metal is added to produce the weld.
In the GTAW process the arc or heat source is created between a tungsten electrode mounted in a hand held torch and the work piece to be welded. The weldor initiates the arc by means of a switch. The filler metal, in the form of a hand held rod, is then added to the weld puddle by the weldor as he manipulates the torch along the seam or joint which is to be welded.
In GMAW, the filler metal IS the electrode and the arc is created when the filler metal, or wire, comes in contact with the work surface. The wire feeds from a spool through a conduit inside the torch or torch cable and the weldor controls the feed by means of a switch or trigger.
This is just a simplified answer but I hope it clears up your understanding enough to help you find more information. With what you know now, you should be able to learn much more if you do some searching using the correct terminology. Good luck to you.
Parent - - By white2kta Date 06-07-2005 03:33
Ok, I think that makes sense, but then what is the difference between tig and stick? I thought Stick meant just that, you were adding a "stick" to the electrode for filler metal. But that sounds to me kind of like how TIG was described.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-07-2005 07:45
http://www.fortunecity.com/village/lind/247/index_WELD.htm
That will lead you to the army welding manual. The answers to your questions lie in chapter six.
Bill
Parent - By rsliker (*) Date 06-07-2005 11:43
"Stick Welding" is another non standard term. The correct term for that process is shielded metal arc welding, (SMAW). In this process a coated welding rod or "stick" is used as the electrode. Remember, the electrode is the part that conducts the electric current. An arc forms at the end of the electrode and this arc provides the heat source. In SMAW the coated electrode melts as the arc is maintained, mixing with the base metal being welded and forming the weld. The shielding gas, which protects the weld pool, is produced by the burning away of the coating which covers the electrode.
It sounds like you are interest in learning about welding and you may have asked these questions before but didn't understand the answers. Perhaps, because someone has confused you with these non standard terms.
If you truly want to learn, do yourself a favor and drop them. Use the correct terms when you ask questions about a particular welding process or when you look for information to read. Your efforts will be much more successful.
Bill, has listed a website which is an excellent source of information.
Once again, good luck.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 06-07-2005 12:42
TIG (GTAW) is a manual welding process by which one holds a torch with a non-consumable electrode in one hand and a bare filler wire in the other.

Stick (SMAW) is a manual welding process the uses a single flux coated electrode for filler.

MIG (GMAW) is a Semi-Automatic welding process the uses a continues feeding filler wire as an electrode.

MIG is a great deal faster than the either of the above, its only limiting factor is the reach and bulky gun (nozzle).

Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-08-2005 01:52
Here is a page with some information that may be of help. http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/processopinions.htm

Some of the differences have been covered already but it still may help.

Gerald
Parent - - By white2kta Date 06-09-2005 16:22
These are great resources, thanks to everybody who posted. For futre information miller has a decent breakdown as well on their website. Thanks for the change in terminology too. I think there is a lot of information about welding that is commonly misconceived. My final question then is for a recomendation for a mig welder. I've been looking at the following options:

Clarke® 130EN Mig 110 Volt 130 Amp (No Gas or Gas)
http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/WE6523P-1.html?id=H4zUfuqv
$322

Hobart Handler Wire-Feed Welder — 125 Amp, Model# 500487
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200127024&R=200127024
$345

Lincoln Electric 115 WELD-PAKT Wire-Feed Welder — 100 Amp, Model# K587-1
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=9042&R=9042
$380

My only criteria are as follows:
Wire fed MIG
Needs to be upgradable to gas
Welding for mild fabrication (maybe auto body in the future)
Runs on 110
Upgradble to welding aluminum (don't understand requirements for welding aluminum)
Decent durability/longevity

From what I hear miller and lincoln are the top dogs of welding. The comparable miller (millermatic135 i believe) seems to run around 600 so wasn't included in the above list. I really don't know anything about lincoln/hobart/clarke though. Recommendations? Experiences?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-09-2005 17:48

The Lincoln and the Hobart are both quality power sources with an earned reputation and backing by most distributers.

We have a little Hobart Handler for demos and I was really surprised and impressed with its production with Gasless FCAW.

As far as upgradable goes... None of these will ever provide spray transfer and I have my doubts about the quality of any aluminum work with one of these babies.

Gotta run. The Blue Angels are doing a pre show practice right above campus.......!
Parent - By rsliker (*) Date 06-09-2005 17:59
Your most welcome. Always feels good to help someone who is sincere but just a little confused. Looks like you've been busy and your excited about what you have learned already. That's Great !
On equipment, their are others here who can better advise you on the kinds of machines available for your needs.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Questions