Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum GMAW Liner Problems
- - By AOK (*) Date 06-10-2005 16:04
Does any one have any recommendations for a different type of liner to use other than nylon? Because of the length on the leads that is needed, the liners are getting changed constantly because they keep getting twisted and this is very frustrating for the welders and maintenance to keep dealing with.
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 06-10-2005 19:15
Are you using a push-pull system?

Brian
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 06-10-2005 20:30
Have you considered a spooled gun? Is the twisting causing feeling problems? Feedability is probably the most common problem experienced when comparing MIG welding of steel to MIG welding of aluminum. Feedability is by far a more significant issue with aluminum than steel. This is primarily due to the difference between the materials' mechanical properties. Steel welding wire is rigged, can be fed more easily over a farther distance and can withstand far more mechanical abuse when compared to aluminum. Aluminum is softer, more susceptible to being deformed or shaved during the feeding operation, and, consequently, requires far more attention when selecting and setting up a feeding system for MIG welding. Feedability problems often express themselves in the forms of irregular wire feed, excessive bending in the electrode transport tube, excessive bending in the guide tube of the gun, excessive bending of the cable between the drive unit and the welding gun, or the fusion of the welding wire to the inside of the contact tip, which is caused by kinks jamming in the gun. If the kinks feed through, they will produce a momentary slowing of the electrode. Improperly wound spools with crossovers or edge bound strands will also cause erratic feeding. The aluminum electrode can also sieze and gall inside the contact tube, causing an erratic or stitching arc action. In order to prevent excessive problems with feedability of this nature, it is important to understand the entire feeding system and its effect on aluminum welding wire. When starting with the spool end of the feeding system, the brake settings must be considered first. Brake setting tension is required to be backed off to a minimum. Only sufficient brake pressure, to prevent the spool from free wheeling when stopping welding is required. Electronic braking systems and electronic and mechanical combinations have been developed to provide more sensitivity within the braking system. Inlet and outlet guides, as well as liners, which are typically made from metallic material for steel welding, must be made from a non-metallic material such as nylon to prevent abrasion and shaving of the aluminum wire. Even so, there still can be feeding problems. Drive rolls have been developed, often with U type contours with edges that are chamfered and not sharp, that are smooth, aligned, and provide correct drive roll pressure. The electrode may slip in the drive rolls because of insufficient pressure. Excessive drive roll pressure can deform the aluminum wire and increase friction drag through the liner and contact tip. Contact tip I.D. and quality are of great importance. There are contact tips made specifically for aluminum welding, with smooth internal bores and the absence of sharp burrs on the inlet and outlet ends of the tips which can easily shave the softer aluminum alloys. Aluminum welding wire is used in both push and pull feeder systems, however, limitations are recognized dependent on application and feeding distance.
Parent - - By AOK (*) Date 06-13-2005 10:46
We use a push-pull system, a spool gun would definitely get in the way, but the welders need to have the length on the leads to do what they have to do. The problem is definitely in the liner. I have seen maintenance take them apart and the liner is bent and twisted sometimes to the point that you can't even get the wire out.All of the tips we use are correct, along with the settings of the rollers and so forth. I thought there might be a more rigid type of liner that we could use with aluminum.We use E4043 .047 diameter from alcotec.
Parent - - By g.osbun Date 06-20-2005 03:32
This may or may not relate to the liner problem, but it has been my experience that E5356 feeds better than E4043 because it is harder. I prefer to use 4043 when possible though. Also, Miller does make a wire-straightener which is placed in front of the wire feed drive roller. You might also double check to see if the liners are being installed properly.
Regards, George
Parent - - By Brett B (*) Date 06-28-2005 18:21
The Lincoln GMAW liners are the steel outside with a nylon internal
so they resist the kinking and twisting, alot of companies offer only the nylon liner and it does not hold up. We are pushing 4043 - 3/64"
diameter through 12' whips on Powermig 300 with tremendous sucess
we have 12 machines set up this way. As a note we use one of the 3/64" U drive rolls on top and a .052" knurled drive roll on bottom and
the optional light tension spring on the feeder drive pressure roll.
The benefit over a spool gun and the extremely expensive push - pull
sytems are so much better it's not even funny, plus cheaper consumables and a more durable gun set up - if you have ever had to repair a push - pull sytem you know parts are very very expensive.

Here is the part number for the liner :

Lincoln part number KP-1955-1 this fits .035" - 3/64" diameter 15' or shorter in length.

Parent - - By - Date 07-12-2005 00:04
HI BRETT. I'M JIM H. I JUST BOUGHT A USED POWERMAX 300. I FOUND YOUR INFO ON ALUM. MIG WELDING REAL INTERESTING. I WORK IN A SHEET METAL SHOP IN THE CHICAGOLAND AREA. WE WELD MOSTLY 1/4" OR .125 ALUM..WE'VE BEEN USING AN OLD MILLER 200 WITH AN OLD SPOOL GUN. I'D LIKE TO TRY WHAT YOU SUGGESTED. CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME INFO ON YOUR SETTINGS & WHAT GUN YOU'RE USING? I'D REALLY APPREACIATE IT. JIM
Parent - - By Brett B (*) Date 07-12-2005 14:21
Jim,

We are using a Lincoln Magnum 300 gun 12' in length with the teflon liner as I mentioned earlier, using 3/64" 4043 wire, .052" knurled drive roll
on the bottom drive wheel a U-groove roll on the top roller.
A lighter spring tension helps on the wire but we used the standard
spring at the beginning and kept the tension no higher than 1.
We are using a .052 diamter contact tip since there is some expansion
on the aluminum wire. We are welding .080" 5052 and here are the settings on the Powermig 300 :
Voltage 16.8 - 19.5
Wire feed speed 170 i.p.m. - 240 i.pm.
Amperage 80 - 120
Arc control 6.5 - 7.5
Trim control 0.69 - 0.79
Pure Argon for shielding gas

We have been running the 500 lb. drum of wire top improve the feedability as the smaller 15lb. spools being wound a little tight /
very little cast in the wire affects contact tip life.

It is important that the wire tension is as low as possible as if it is to tight it will gall / fill up the knurled drive roll, this is the hardest thing to get through someones mind that tighter is not better when feeding aluminum wire.

Brett B
Parent - By - Date 07-17-2005 03:23
THANKS MUCH FOR THE TIP BRETT. I'LL GIVE IT A TRY. JIM
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum GMAW Liner Problems