Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is it a Butt Weld?
- - By NDTIII (***) Date 06-11-2005 09:47
Is a the weld between Branch fitting (Weldolet) and the main run of pipe considered a butt weld or just a groove weld?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-11-2005 12:08

If your looking for AWS standard terms, than it would be a groove weld that is being placed in a butt joint.

Another example would be a fillet weld being placed in a lap joint. We often call them lap welds but according to *standard terms* thats not quite correct.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-12-2005 00:14
The basic types of "Joints" are Butt, Edge, Corner, Lap, and Tee. The groove or weld type would usually be a fillet reinforced groove weld.

Course I could be wrong

Y'all have a nice day

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 06-12-2005 02:23
For the purposes of determining NDE and PWHT, it would be considered a circumferential butt weld.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 06-12-2005 02:46
NDTIII:
You must be back in Kingdom? Had this discussion many years ago. Others claim this to be a T joint pipe intersections w/out a joint prep. other than a pipe cope for the T stem. It depends what quadrant of the joint you observe from and the engineer.

It is a butt joint with a groove weld or a fillet weld. Many think a fillet weld cannot be applied to a butt joint. Groove/fillet welds or both can used to join "abutting" members. Several answers are correct above.

Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 06-12-2005 03:59
A Weldolet branch weld is a groove only with no reinforcing fillet. Sometimes a small fillet is added at the toe of the weld on the run pipe, but only to reduce the stress concentration. See page 35 of this document:

http://www.bonneyforge.com/OletCat.PDF

Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 06-13-2005 13:34
If you look at ASME B31.1, section 127.4.8 states that the weldolet is attached with a groove weld that may or may not be full penetration (depending on the size of the fitting) and that the groove weld has to be reinforced by a fillet weld.

Tim
Parent - By medicinehawk (**) Date 06-14-2005 07:38
Good call! That's what I was looking for.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 06-16-2005 03:34
I would not call that fillet reinforcement. 127.4.8(C) applies to integrally reinforced fitting, which is what a weldolet fitting is. The last paragraph in 127.4.8(C) requires a "cover fillet" which has a 3/16 in. minimum throat dimension when you look at the referenced figure. This small cover fillet at the toe of the weld on the run pipe is intended to reduce the stress concentration, since the fitting itself already meets the reinforcement requirements of para. 104.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 06-16-2005 06:30
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of your input. So can I safely assume I was correct when I told my colleague that a weld between a weld-o-let and a pipe is a groove weld in a butt joint and not a butt weld?
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 06-16-2005 22:38
I still say butt joint NDTIII.
Parent - By jay72chevy (*) Date 06-17-2005 02:07
Think of it this way your butting it up against another part to be welded. Last time i put two pieces of steel together side by side it was a butt joint. I dont know tho could be different now?
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 06-18-2005 01:58
Yes, this is a groove weld butt joint.
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 06-29-2005 09:26
Thanks for the input guys.
I just found this and thought you'd be interested.

ASME B31.3 Interpretation 14-13 states this:
Question: In accordance with ASME B31.3, when a proprietary intergrally reinforced branch connection is welded to the outside of run pipe, is the weld classified as a single vee full penetration butt weld with a cover fillet weld?

Reply: No, see para. 328.5.4(d)

Now para. 328.5.4(d) states, Branch connections, including branch connection fittings, which abut the outside of the run or which are inserted in a opening in the run shall be attached by fully penetrated groove welds. The welds shall be finished with cover fillet welds having a throat dimension not less than tc.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-29-2005 16:16
I say regardless of code, it is not a butt joint. Here is one common definition for a butt joint . I do agree that it is a "Groove Weld" and is often "fillet reinforced".

"a joint between two members aligned approximately in the same plane"

All weld "Joints" are a configutration that matches a a Butt, Corner, Edge, ,Lap, or Tee.

Butt, edge, lap, tee, corner all describe the "Joint Type".

The weld preparation is either a groove or fillet however I often get a little confused.

For the purpose of codes, things could get a little confusing however usually the branch connections and weldolets are addressed with their own text.

Have a good day

Gerald
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-01-2005 08:58
Hey Gerald!

I have to agree with your thoughts on this...

Too often, I notice that people inadvertantly associate the term "butt joint" with another completely independent term called a "groove weld" without checking what they're attempting to articulate...

I've been guilty of doing so more than once myself but, I doubt many will admit the same.

Anywho, good read pal!

Respectfully,
SSBN727 - Run silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By H. Chang (*) Date 07-26-2005 08:33
With refererence to ASME Section VIII, Div.1, UW-3(b) when butt welded joints are required elsewhere in this Division for Category B, an angle joint connecting a transition in diameter to a cylinder shall be considered as meeting this requirement provided the angle รก (see Fig. UW-3)does not exceed 30 deg. All requirements pertaining to the butt welded joint shall apply to teh angle joint.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 07-27-2005 02:58
I agree with what Gerald is saying here. I guess I was thinking of it as a "butt weld" in terms of determining the NDE requirements from the table in B31.1. However, I should not have tried to do that from memory. Looking at Table 136.4, branch connections are considered separately from butt welds in determining NDE. A weldolet-to-pipe weld is a full penetration groove weld in a branch connection, and the joint is a corner joint and not a butt joint.
- - By anandme Date 09-12-2018 15:51
Could u tell me what is the weld thickness required for Olet joints??
Parent - - By vinaykumar05 Date 09-14-2018 07:31
ss 304- 0.3 th to 0.3 th
and 
ss 304 - 0.6 th to 0.6 th

butt joint
Parent - - By vinaykumar05 Date 09-14-2018 07:33
welding takes place on a mandrel and torch moves with adjstable speed, looking for current range to do the job
Parent - - By vinaykumar05 Date 09-14-2018 07:39
yes
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-14-2018 12:29
Depends on the construction code and the wall thickness of the fitting or pipe.

Generally a CJP groove weld is required and a reinforcing fillet. The size of the reinforcing fillet is specified by the particular construction code.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is it a Butt Weld?