Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Attachment welding to natural gas piping
- - By mnelson (*) Date 06-15-2005 12:40
A natural gas supply line to a combustion turbine has been recently installed. An attachment fillet weld has been overlooked. The fillet weld required to support a valve body is approximately 4" off the energized gas system. Can this weld be safely made with the piping energized? Any ideas where I can locate answers to safe welding at or on energized piping? How about the ground location?
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-15-2005 12:56
There are guidelines which may help answer your questions within the API Standard for hot-tapping. I know the application is not identical but it may be worth a look at the following; API RP 2201: Safe Hot Tapping Practices in the Petroleum & Petrochemical Industries. It will provide specific guidance for welding on energized systems.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 06-15-2005 13:31
There are companies that specialize in hot taps. When we are faced with a hot tap, we sub it out to the experts.

Charles
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-15-2005 14:23
Right, but the person posting wasn't asking about hot-tapping, simply where to find answers about welding on an energized gas line. The API recommended practice for hot-tapping has loads of good information to help them make a determination of whether to attempt it themselves, call in a third party or de-energize and purge before fixing the problem.
Parent - By mnelson (*) Date 06-15-2005 14:52
Just picked up RP 2201 from the API WEB page. Thanks for the suggestion.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 06-15-2005 16:51
You may not want to overlook the requirements of API 1104 19th Appendix B - In Service Welding. You are probably familiar with this info - but in case you are not: Essential variables include pipeline operating conditions (contents, flow rate). Your procedure may or may not be adequate.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 06-15-2005 21:51
API 1107

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-16-2005 16:10
Hello mnelson,
have you looked in ASME B31.8? I would look in chapter 2 or 3. It's been awile since I have built to that code, but I know that info you are looking for is in there.
Jim
Parent - - By mnelson (*) Date 06-21-2005 17:41
Hello to all,
Thanks again for the assitance guys.

No I haven't looked in B31.8. As a utility inspector, I do use ASME Section B31.1. What does B31.8 reference? This is my first involvement with API codes and would like to locate safe work practices for energized systems. We did air monitoring on the above mentioned project, thinking common sense prevails (although not always). And by the way, the welding was not on the energized piping as first thought. The pipe supports were not attached to the piping.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-21-2005 17:50
What were your thoughts on API RP 2201? I used this extensively while in Mexico doing hot-taps on O & G lines which were inservice. Naturally, there is always safety concerns, but I felt like API RP 2201 gave very good guidance.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-21-2005 21:24
B31.8 covers Gas Transmission lines. It covers safe work practices for energized Gas lines.
Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Attachment welding to natural gas piping