Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Need parts for Solar Mig
- - By Hammer Dog Date 06-19-2005 19:37
Hello everyone, I am looking for the solonoid that operates the gas in a 2110 solar mig welder, the machine is actually made by century. The solonoid has 42v going to it and from what I can find out all mfg's are different in voltage requirements going to the solonoids. This is just a home machine to do small jobs that runs off 110v. I am not having much luck with finding anything on this unit. Please help, as bad as want a new machine the funds are not in the picture right now.
Parent - - By Mike W (**) Date 06-20-2005 19:42
42 volts is a rather odd value. I would expect to find 24 or 120. Perhaps you could get a 120 volt unit and use a relay on the existing circuit to supply 120 to the new solenoid. What is the problem with yours, open coil?
Parent - - By Hammer Dog Date 06-20-2005 22:16
I really don't know how to test it "properly" but it has pressure to the solonoid (no obstructions in the lines and gas in the tank), it has voltage to the solonoid when the trigger is depressed (42 volts) and no obstructions from the solonoid to the gun. There is very little ohms in the solonoid when tested. I finally found a phone # on the welder and tried to call it and was transfered 3 times but finally got a part # and got one ordered, kind of expensive ($50.86) in my opinion but hopefully it will get things working again, without all the splatter.

Thanks for the reply, I found this site by chance and seems to have some very info on the board and will keep this site in Bookmarks for later use.

Speed Safely,
Randy

*edit* by the way the solonoid did have 120 volts stamped on the base of it, just don't know why it only has 42 going to it?
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-21-2005 05:28
In some cases one would operate a 120V solenoid by applying 120V for a short time (the pick voltage) and then reducing the voltage to a lower value (the hold voltage) to prevent overheating the solenoid so your voltage finding may not indicate a problem. A low number for resistance is also not remarkable although too low a number can indicate a partial short in the coil which would result in failure to operate (and could also pull down the voltage across the solenoid). Stuck parts in the valve or the moving core of the solenoid are also a possibility. I think you are going in the right direction.
Bill
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Need parts for Solar Mig