Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 1998 Section IX - QW322.1
- - By NEQA (**) Date 06-24-2005 12:37
As the Owner of a large utility, how do I know if a particular welder has welded with a process during a period of 6 months or more, as per QW-322.1. And when they say "during a period of 6 months or more" does that mean within the last 6 months or any 6 month period?

In reviewing WPQ's, I see a lot of QW-484 forms, but QW-484 does not tell me if the welder has welder in a particular process within the last 6 months? Or am I interpreting QW-322.1 incorrectly?

Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-24-2005 13:42
You are interpreting the requirement correctly.

The contractor's or employers of the welder are required to show continuity of process during each six month period, for each process.

Most employers keep a simple spreadsheet with the welder ID, the process used, date used and (optional) where used.

If there is no such evidence of continuity (use of each process) within the six month period(s) then "technically" the welder's qualifications have lapsed and a requalification may be imposed.
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 06-24-2005 14:18
Thanks jon:

Does the 6 month period mean during any 6 month period, or during the last 6 months? The Code does not specifiy.

Seems to me it means the last 6 months.

Parent - - By - Date 06-24-2005 14:39
Jon can probably give you more accurate information, but doesn't it mean within the 6 months from the date of his certification, and every 6 months thereafter?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-24-2005 14:56
Chuck, you are correct, as usual! Yes, within six months of the initial qualification and every six months thereafter the welder must utilize the process in which they are qualified to maintain their status as "qualified." If the welder lapses in this timeframe they may be required to retest (the retest may be a simplified version of the original test). This requirement applies to each process in which the welder is qualified except GMAW and FCAW may be considered the same process.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 06-24-2005 21:29
Also remember that if a welder has tested with a given welding process in the last 6 months, it renews all previous qualifications that used the same process, even if they had expired.
Parent - By NEQA (**) Date 06-25-2005 22:05
Learn something new every day.....thanks guys.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 1998 Section IX - QW322.1