Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Soon to be training as a welder
- - By drake (*) Date 06-24-2005 20:55
Greetings all,

Just wanted to introduce myself as new on the forums and that I am soon to be taking a welding certificate/certification class here at my local tech college in SC.

I wanted to know if anyone could perhaps point me in a direction of some good learning resources that would help me get started learning some before classes. Im fairly clueless to the welding profession but hungry for knowledge.

Also what is the differences with the spellings of welder and weldor, just a personal preference or something more?

Thanks
~Drake
Parent - - By - Date 06-24-2005 22:32
You are already well on your way to becoming a successful candidate by your desire to succeed. As an old saying goes "Welding is 10% ability, and 90% desire". In they 35 years of my Welding/Welding Engineering profession, I truly agree with this old axiom. Your attitude, your quest for knowledge, and your desire to learn puts you ahead of many other candidates. Good luck to you and I'm sure you will become a great welder (not weldor). I'm sure some of our fellow collegues in the forum will recommend some good learning/training resources that you can tap into. :)

Chuck
Parent - By stever (**) Date 07-13-2005 21:13
Drake I just wrote you a reply to your question about Unions in SC. You must be attending Greenville Technical College. Stay with it. You've got some of the best instructors in the world of pipe welding.
I agree with Chuck although I may say ability and attitude it all comes out the same. You gotta want it.
The only thing that I disagree with Chuck about is the difference between welder and weldor. This is said with a smile and no harmful intent.
The term welder is defined by AWS as the person doing the welding. Most places that I've been the people use that term to define the welding machine. It's way too difficult to say welding machine when you can say welder and everyone understands. Hence, there is an undeclared on-going "war of words", all two of them. You'll notice that Lincoln Electric puts out pamplets and books that use the word WELDOR. There is a welding supply house in Spartanburg, SC named "Weldor's Supply".
Although definition says the word weldor is wrong and doesn't exist the people, including myself, use it.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Soon to be training as a welder