Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 Ultrasonic Inspection
- - By ftorre (*) Date 06-25-2005 01:07
I am trying to find out what D1.1 says about UT inspection of round tube splices (full penetration) of 18" diameter material. I cannot find this topic in the D1.1 code, and I don't see where it references another code like ASME or somthing similar. I need to know if special curved wedges are needed for this diameter or is 18" large enough to use a standard AWS wedge. Thanks for any help you can give.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 06-25-2005 03:24
Are these tubes structural or piping?
Parent - - By ftorre (*) Date 06-25-2005 11:10
These tubes are structural trusses.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 06-25-2005 13:49
AWS D.1.1 6.11.1 states the UT requirements for CJP groove butt welds in tubular products. It references paragraph 6.13.3 for UT acceptance criteria.
You're right, however, it only states the amplitude based acceptance criteria is for tubular products 24" dia. and over.
The acceptance criteria for your job shall be as provided in the contract documents. See 6.13.3.
If you cannot find it in the contract, I suggest you speak to your Engineer.
As far as the 18" diameter goes, you may want to try it and see if the wedge rocks. If it does, you would have to use a gain correction like the one detailed in ASME Sec. V, Article 4, Non Mandatory Appendix G-460. Or you may want to use a 3/4" probe.
Parent - By ftorre (*) Date 06-25-2005 15:56
Thank you so much for your help, it is exactly what i was looking for. I really appreciate it!
Parent - - By - Date 06-26-2005 03:20
Section 6 of D1.1 contains a statement to the effect that Section 6 requirements for UT are not to be used for tubular structures (I'm at home so can't give you the exact paragraph). You'll have to go to Annex K for tubular UT technique and acceptance criteria information.
Mankenberg
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 06-26-2005 04:26
Hi Kip.
I looked up your comment in D1.1. Section F, Paragraph 6.20.1 is the paragraph I believe you are talking about.

It states, "Procedures and Standards", states the following: "These procedures and standards shall be prohibited for testing tube-to-tube T-, Y-, or K- connections."

If these trusses are considered a T-, Y- or K- tube-to-tube connection, then you are absolutely right.

Had to look close at that one, though.

Parent - - By - Date 06-27-2005 13:43
Yes you are right about that, and I was incorrect about Annex K. Annex K can be used only with the Engineer's approval, so if that situation does not apply, you would use 6.27.

While this section of the code applies primarily to TKY connections, some guidance for FTorre's situation can be found in paragraph 6.27.1, where it states "conventional techniques are generally limited to diameters of 12-3/4" and larger...). Further guidance can be found in paragraph C6.20.1 where it states "most groove welds may be satisfactorily tested using the provisions of Section 6, Part E."
Note that here it specifically says "most groove welds".
In FTorre's situation the OD/ID ratio should be considered as well as how this may affect the UT techniques that should be employed, and anything special that is done for these joints should be reflected in the UT procedure.
Mankenberg
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 06-27-2005 14:46
Absolutely
Parent - - By ftorre (*) Date 06-27-2005 18:42
Thanks to all of you. With your help and suggestions I was able to find a solution. I am very greatful. I'm sure I'll have more questions for you in the future.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-27-2005 19:01
As far as contoured wedges, I have cheated and used a piece of emory cloth wrapped around the diameter pipe (that I wanted to check) and shaped the bottom of a spare wedge to match the pipe. Do not remove alot of material, just enough to prevent rocking and use a heavy coat of couplant. This was only for checking splices perpendicular to the length of the pipe, not for T,K or Y connections. Anchor bolts were set 3 feet too deep and we had to add 3 feet of length to the pipe columns.
Need your Level III to advise you when you run up on situations out of the scope of your procedures.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 Ultrasonic Inspection