Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Lack of Quick Freezing of slag
- - By kuppuWeld (*) Date 06-25-2005 08:16
Hi everyone,

i am Kuppusamy MV ,Welding engineer from India.I am working as junior welding engineer in Advani-Oerlikon Welding India Ltd.We are having a problem of lack of quick freezing of slag and lack of depth of fusion in pipe welding using 6010 cellulosic coated electrode by downhill technique

Plz give me some suggestions to come across these problems.

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-25-2005 12:43

Traditionally E6010 root passes are placed into pipe with an upward progression in vertical welds.

Was your procedure originally qualified with downhill travel?
Parent - - By kuppuWeld (*) Date 06-25-2005 13:12
yes of course we have tried with downhill welding and our procesures are also qualified accordingly
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 06-25-2005 22:34
Could the rods have gotten wet, or been stored in high humidity? Usually, that rod is less problematic with moisture but that is what it reminds me of.
pjs
Parent - - By kuppuWeld (*) Date 06-26-2005 06:05
Hi

Thank you for your reply.We have taken care utmost care in keeping it dry.What i am thinking interms of adding someother other alloying elements in flux to increase quick freezing tendency.Will it make sense.
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 06-27-2005 07:52
6010 electrodes are made to go uphill or downhill and are considered "Fast-Freeze" welding rods. I have experienced problems similar to which you described through moist conditions (high humidity) and keeping the rods in a dry sealable rod container (not a rod oven) took care of the problem.
6010 usually does what it's intended to do and if you use 5P +
then you should never have a problem. Adding alloying elements would seem to me to turn the rod into something different and being that it really is a relatively inexpensive welding wire......why bother?
Parent - - By kuppuWeld (*) Date 06-27-2005 11:10
Thank you Mr.medicinehawk(sorry idon't know your name) for your reply.As you mentioned in your mail,we have done welding at 5G position only.still the problem persists.

To increase the depth of penetration in 5G welding also i require some comeents from you.

Thank you
Parent - By medicinehawk (**) Date 06-29-2005 02:39
Hi Kuppaweld,

You can call me Hawk. I suggest you send me an e-mail(click on my nick) and give me extremely detailed information as to the issues you are having and then I can help you out.
I am wondering what welding procedure specification you are using. If you posted that , then that would be a start. There are many experts on this forum who can help you out, but all we need is information.
I have taught welding and I can tell by examining a coupon what is going on....good or bad in a person's technique. Unless you have a lot of pictures, then there is not much I can do. But, if you can describe what issues are giving your people problems (MUST be specific)then we can all give you some feedback that will help you.
What diameter pipe(English units, Please), schedule(pipe thickness) and rod diameter you are using. Talk to your QA/QC department.
Here in the states things are governed by a Code (API, ASME, FAA, AWS, etc.) and while they differ and are similar......they all use a qualified WPS to get it done.

Be well.

Hawk
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Lack of Quick Freezing of slag