Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Plasma Welding Troubleshoot
- - By osu45 (*) Date 06-27-2005 21:49
Just a quick question to anyone more familiar with troubleshooting weld profiles. I am using a plasma welding process on a square groove weld...and recently I have developed a problem with my welds. I am in the process of trying to qualify my procedure and for some reason all of my welds are coming out "off-center." I am welding keyhole process single pass (wire feed about 25inch/min) approx 0.415" material, so slight undercut is unavoidable, but why is it significantly to one side? I have become great at managing penetration with the machine (semi-automatic by the way), but cannot seem to correct this problem. Unfortunately I think the only way the weld will pass qualification is if the undercut is divided between the edges on the top of the weld, so centering is important. I would appreciate any input.

-osu

(PS this is a new problem in that the machine has run acceptable welds prior to this)
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 06-28-2005 13:26
We run the plasma process fully automated with robots, some with cold wire feed, some with hot wire feed. Your process sounds like a cold wire feed system so 2 major factors come to mind. 1: The position of the wire feeding into the puddle must be perfectly aligned to the joint in the direction of travel on the front edge of the plasma arc. The wire should enter the plasma column .5-.75 mm above the plate being welded to ensure proper melt-off without making the plasma column split or deflect. Too high, the wire will glob up and deflect the plasma column. Too low and it will curl up off the plate before it makes it's way into the plasma column, causing "shark tooth" points on the toe's of the weld joint. 2: Plasma tip orifice could be too large for the tungsten being used making the gas column too wide and not focused. If it's too small it will not let gas flow fast enough to ionize at the correct rate. This could cause the arc to flow to one side or another, even circular wandering is possible.
One other thing is to keep the tungsten ground with the same angle and depth of recess into the tip. If the depth of recess is not the same, major gas flow changes will affect arc properties. E-mail some pictures of the off location weld, or even your set-up prior to weld and maybe we can get to the bottom of the problem: mdgwelding@yahoo.com

Mark
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Plasma Welding Troubleshoot