Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Anyone Who Is Knowledgeable.
- - By rebirth (*) Date 06-30-2005 15:37
I am not an expert and don't claim to be-- I have a Miller syncrowave 250,, just recently the arc became extremely erratic. I tried the K.I.S.S. method to try to narrow the problem down but I think it's internal. I tested it "stick" amd "tig" and it's the same out come for both it's still very erractic, no control what-so-ever of the arc, doesn't even get the workpiece hot but when you touch the tungsten with the piece, it will "join" then have to wobble it off to separate. So basically I called a few places and all they say is "bring it down" and we will "ship it out to get it looked at" this is a very heavy machine and I assume shipping alone on this is worth posting a message here before I spend tons shipping it out. If anyone has any insight on this or can narrow or point me in the right direction, it would be "cool" .. Thank you.
Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 07-04-2005 12:49
Depending on the age of the machine, it could be the high frequency transformer that is at fault. Miller part number 208045. I have had to replace a couple of these in my customers equipment where the tig arc was "un-usable". extremely erratic and out of control. Call the miller parts dept. and talk to Rocky. (920-725-4500) I am sure he can help.
Parent - By rebirth (*) Date 07-04-2005 18:10
Thank you Sparx:
Let me mention a few particulars and see if if could shed more light on this. The machine was bought used--- from the beginning as I am not a pro welder but my freind is, which he tested it from the beginning, and gave the machine "two-thumbs up" and why I prurchased it. The only complaint he had because he wasn't familiar w/ the machine and figured it was just tweaking he had to do to make it work was the machine wouldn't "scratch start" in tig mode - or +, it would work in HF or in Continuous but not in "scratch start" as I mentioned. So I do not know it this is what led to the total erratic arc I have know (but keep it mind I have tigged in HF for quite awhile before this happened)... Also the "erratic" arc is also with "stick" mode... So I am wondering if what you mentioned is partly wrong because you do not need HF in stick mode? But I am not a pro-- understand this. But I will call Rocky and ask about this... and if you have further insight to this besides what I mentioned do not hesitate ..Thank you
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Anyone Who Is Knowledgeable.