Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection of Friction Stir Welds (FSW)
- - By Tubs Date 07-01-2005 08:09
Does anyone has some experience with the inspection of Friction Stir Welds? The specific task is to inspect 3.5mm Al butt welds.
I've read some articles about phased array probes but I'm looking for a way to go without these expensive things. The detection of 'regular' flaws like voids and cracks works reasonably well but the detection - and the production - of 'kissing bonds' doesn't work satisfactorily so far.

If anyone got some experience on that field I would appreciate all thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Tubs
Parent - By Tubs Date 07-01-2005 09:14
A further problem which comes with the inspection of friction stir welds is that there are no standards excisting yet! well - at least none I am aware of. This is why I go with excisting standards for other welding techniques.
Does anyone know what other companies such as NASA refer to during their inspections? Any intern standards? How do they know which flaw-size actually affects the weld and which doesn not?

Again - any help is apperciated

- Tubs
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection of Friction Stir Welds (FSW)