Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Student with some questions?
- - By welderntraining Date 07-06-2005 14:44
I am a student enrolled in a welding class. I have had a limited amount of experience welding before I enrolled in classes. I have found myself jobless because of a takeover of the papermill I worked at.I have decided to try my hand at a career in welding. The bad thing is I'M in a bit of a time and money crunch. So I will only be able to attend formal training for one semester.I would like to know how common is it for structural welders to take an open butt vee groove welding test? Also what are the criteria the bend test has to meet (ie.visual cracks undercut ..) I'M learning how to put a root in a vertical (up) 3/8 inch plate with an E 6010 at present. My roots are continuisly getting better but I'm nerveous about meeting my deadline and doing well on a real world welding test. Any advice and or opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 07-06-2005 14:49
How far are you from Roanoke, Alabama?
Parent - - By welderntraining Date 07-06-2005 15:06
Yahoo driving directions says close to 250 miles from roanoke al.
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 07-06-2005 15:14
That is about 5 hours away so unless you are planning a move my suggestion is out.
Parent - - By welderntraining Date 07-06-2005 16:26
What suggestion ? I intend to work construction so I may have to hit the road any way.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-06-2005 19:39
Before the coupons are cut from the welded test plate, the welded test plate must first meet visual inspection criteria. After that, the coupons are cut and bent. The acceptance criteria for bend tests per AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code involves a visual examination for surface discontinuities of the bent test coupon. The coupon is acceptable if the surface contains no discontinuities greater than:
1/8", which can be measured in any direction on the surface. 3/8", which would be the sum of the greatest dimensions of all discontinuities exceeding 1/32" but less than or equal to 1/8". 1/4", which is the maximum corner crack except when the corner crack is a result of visible slag inclusion or other fusion type discontinuity, then 1/8" shall apply. Coupons with corner cracks that exceed 1/4" with no evidence of slag inclusions or other fusion type discontinuity shall not be used, and a replacement test coupon from the original weldment shall be tested.
Parent - By - Date 07-06-2005 19:40
Regarding structural steel welder performance qualification testing, most AWS D1.1 (Structural Steel code - used for buildings, offshore platforms, and the like) projects do not have need of welders qualified to weld open root joints. On this type of project, the most common scenario is to test welders in the 3G and 4G positions with backing bar, which gets you an "all position" qualification (but only for joints with backing or backgouged) on non-tubular products such as plate and beams. Some shops that make beams and girders manipulate the work such that all the welds are made in the flat position - in this case you might take only a 1G test.
Some projects do have at least some open root joints. For this, some sort of open root qualification test is needed. Often a 6GR test is used. On many projects, only a few welders will have the 6GR qualification.
As a guy just starting out, you'll likely work on plate welds either with backing or backgouged until you have enough skill to be able to manage a 6GR.
Mankenberg
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Student with some questions?