Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stray Current Info Needed
- - By Jay Stiles Date 07-06-2005 19:42
My company is working with some structures that include electrical motors that will be inaccessible in service. There is a weld repair required that will be done to a frame that support the motor, and we have concerns about possible arc damage to the motor bearings, etc.

Can anyone recommend an expert in this area who may be able to consult with us as to the best preventative measures to insure we do not create problems?

Thanks.
Parent - - By supermechanic (**) Date 07-06-2005 21:45
Install work lead directly adjacent to area being welded, this should eliminate any stray currents in the framework.
Also,run a bonding wire from the motor frame to the shaft. This will eliminate any chance of bearing pitting.
The above procedure was given to me when I did repairs to a very large AC motor base on a compressor. 20 years later, motor still works fine.
Parent - - By Jay Stiles Date 07-06-2005 22:02
Thanks for your reply. That makes good sense to me. Do you know of any "experts" that we could call on about this? (This is a high profile, and high dollar situation.)
Parent - - By - Date 07-06-2005 22:08
Jay,
It appears that supermechanic gave you "expert" advice already. To me, an expert is someone that has experienced the same situation, made the necessary adjustments or procedure, and got acceptable results. What more are you looking for?

CM
Parent - - By Jay Stiles Date 07-06-2005 22:15
No offense intended here. I believe the advice from "supermechanic" is a sensible way to deal with the issue.

As I also said, this is a high profile situation, and the tendency within my organization is to want something that others can "hang their hat on". Given that, perhaps the same type of expert advice, but under the letterhead of a consultant.

Parent - - By - Date 07-06-2005 22:29
Jay,
I'm sure there is no offense taken at all. I would also think that an expert consultant would want to analyze the situation and know all the facts before issuing any advice from a consultant type role. I would also think that you might need to be prepared to pay the fee for this advice. One thing to remember when working with consultants is that there is usually a clause in there that they will not accept liability for anything not done exactly as they outline. I really hope you find the person you are looking for since I'm sure you want to be sure of doing the job right. Good luck..

Chuck
Parent - - By Jay Stiles Date 07-06-2005 22:34
Exactly. We would be willing to compensate the consultant if all of those issues were discussed and resolved.

Jay
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-07-2005 06:07
I agree with supermechanics advice also. You need to find an electrical engineer with a professional engineers license to put the seal of authority on it. Your state will have a registry of PE's, Perhaps on line, look there.
Bill
Parent - By RBeldyk (**) Date 07-07-2005 13:36
Where is this project located?

If you want email me directly.

Rich
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stray Current Info Needed