Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / valve stems
- - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 07-10-2005 02:12
Would appreciate someone telling me what metal valve stems are made from.
Thanks
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-11-2005 13:55
Depends on the manufacturer. Caution, some older valve stems (Diesel) are Boron filled DO NOT WELD on them.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-12-2005 06:46
Engine valves? Some exhaust valves are filled with sodium metal. It melts and sloshes about to help transfer heat from the valve head into the valve guide area. If exposed to air it burns at quite low temperatures. Water on burning sodium generates hydrogen and thus makes the situation worse. Valve heads and seats are sometimes stellite. I would advise considerable care if you contemplate disassembling engine valves.
Bill
Parent - - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 07-13-2005 03:33
Thanks for the info. Now that you both mention it, I seem to recall something about stems being filled. Probably should have asked the question before I cut the "valve" off of the stem. Fortunately nothing happened. What I want to do is use the stems for chasing/repousse tools. The length and diameter are comfortable in my hand. I have typically used drill rod etc but if you make dozens of tools that can get expensive. I saw an article about a European artist using old valve stems. The stem is forged/ground/shaped/polished on one end according to the need at hand. Since they are typically used on soft metal, heat treatment is generally not necessary, but I may also want to use them on steel. Hence the question about the type of metal.

As always, appreciate the help.
Ken
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-13-2005 06:21
Car suspension springs are a possibility, generally heat-treats well. Usually lieing all over the ground at any auto junkyard. Wrong shape and diameter but if you have to smithy on them anyway correcting that is easy. A lot of trunk lids (car) are counterbalanced by a torsion bar, that might work and it starts out mostly straight. Go to a junkyard that will let you walk around and see what you can find.

Part of the cost of drill rod is the ground finish- a piece of 1080 round or hex may suit your needs for less money.

I don't know of any intake valves that had filled hollow stems (if anyone else does please correct me) so those are probably safe.

Are there pictures of your work we can look at?

Bill
Parent - - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 07-14-2005 03:17
Thanks for the tips. Most of my work has been traditional forging/sculptural. I am often remiss at taking pictures but do have one of a small copper repousse. Only problem is I don't know how to attach it. If you have an e-mail I'd be happy to send it. Thanks for asking. I am evaluating the possibility of doing two larger works to be used as thresholds at my home. My e-mail is accentmetal_art@yahoo.com
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-15-2005 07:22
Click on my name above, that's a good email.
Bill
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / valve stems