Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How European Steel Grades are Named
- - By Sean (**) Date 07-12-2005 14:55
I'm working on fabricating new components based on a European design. The material specification on the drawings state S355J2. From my understanding the S355 means that the minimum yield stress is 355 MPa. Is my interpretation correct? Also what does the J2 mean? Does anyone know what the EN standard is for naming their grades of steel.

Regards,
Sean
Parent - - By andy (**) Date 07-12-2005 15:26
Sean -

S355 does indeed mean 355 min yeild in MPa.

You might find this link useful.

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Matter/Steel_Europe.html

The J bit refers to qualities of the steel and the various grades (JR, J0 and J2) differ in weldability and impact requirements. There are also additonal suffixes - e.g. J2G3C and J2G4C.The G bit refers to deoxidation practice and rolling method.

J2 is tested at -20C and must meet minimum impact properties of 27 for products >10 mm <= 150 mm and 23 J for thicknesses >150 mm <=250 mm.

Theres so much to the coding that you really need a copy of the standard if it matters that much but thats about the gist of it..

Oh... just found this...

http://www.corusconstructionandindustrial.com/ccilibrary/Steel%20standard%20EN10025-04.pdf

Looks useful ...might download it myself!!

Best wishes

Andy

Parent - By Sean (**) Date 07-13-2005 11:18
Thank you very much Andy!

Sean
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-13-2005 15:30
A word of warning.
The equivalences between American, European and Japanese steels shown in the equivalence tables that exist around are just approximate, given for information purposes and must be not taken for granted. Some of those tables states this clearly but others don't, although they should.
"Approximate" means that both the chemical composition and mechanical properties are not necessarily the same (and they seldom are) but they're just similar.
For stringent applications it should be made a comparison between the applicable standards to check if one material can be used in lieu of the other. A bad surprise may be waiting for you if this precaution is not taken.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How European Steel Grades are Named