Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WD40 as anti spatter?
- - By stever (**) Date 07-13-2005 21:27
Knowing that WD40 is a great product and has many uses can anyone give me reason(s), documentation, personal knowledge, etc, of why WD40 should not be used as an anti spatter? It states on the can that it contains petroleum distillates and is flammable. A company in our area is making critical welds that could possible cause injury or at least damage, but they have welding documentation on literally millions of parts without failure. They have a WPS and their weldors are qualified. Does anyone know if WD40 could be detrimental to weld metal?
Parent - - By supermechanic (**) Date 07-13-2005 22:14
Petroleum = Hyrocarbons.
Hydrocarbons break into hydrogen and carbon at welding heat. Hydrogen is not condusive to good weldments.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-13-2005 23:05
WD40: Twelve 8 oz. cans total of 96 ounces $39.50 (about .41 per ounce)

Weld Aid Weld Kleen: One 5 gal. container total of 640 ounces $75.60 (about .12 per ounce).
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 07-14-2005 03:05
Don't do it! The other guys are correct, also it will cause porosity if any gets into the weld area. It is possible to avoid the weld area but it is not probable. I would rather see you use the aerosol anti-spatter at a higher price, but the liquid works great.
Parent - - By stever (**) Date 07-14-2005 21:28
I concur on all replies. Anti spatter is cheaper, doesn't create hydrocarbons and porosity. Great responses.
Can anyone point me to a written report, a study or an AWS document about hydrocarbons in welding or not using substances such as WD40 or Pam cooking spray as anti spatter?

As far as don't do it, it's been done for uncounted years and as I said earlier, millions of parts that are documented.

This company is trying to re-educate their weldors about following the WPS and quality control. I'm there to set up a training school and I read through the document that has WD40 on file as "THE" anti spatter.

Just telling these people not to use WD40 as anti spatter will never get it changed. I'll hear the old story of "We've done it this way for forty years and never had any trouble.", which they have. I need a hard copy of facts that I can put in their hands. They want quality, I'll try to help educate them.
Thanks again.
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 07-14-2005 22:56
I would lean the wording toward, "Welding approved anti-spatter" and "welding specific products". One of the other guys may be able to quote chapter and verse for your spec.

Hope you can resolve your differances.
pjs
Parent - By stever (**) Date 07-15-2005 14:02
I didn't mean to make it sound as if we were having problems. I can very well keep my mouth closed and not say anything. After all, they have been doing this for a long time. I just want to find something in writing that could explain it better than me.

PJS I'll use your suggestions. I have attempted using other things and found nothing.
Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WD40 as anti spatter?