Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW welding of brass
- - By sbmathias (*) Date 07-18-2005 15:27
We currently GTAW weld brass using a silicon-brass filler rod. The base metal is a C3601 free-cutting brass. The process seems to work fine, with good penetration, finish, and strength.

We'd like to begin making some of our parts out of a forging brass, C3712, but are concerned about how this might affect our welding successes so far.

The major compositional difference between the two metals seems to be that the proposed 3712 has between 0.1 - 1.0% lead, while the 3601 has between 1.8 - 3.7% lead. Does anyone have any insight or experience with welding either or both of these metals? Might a different filler metal be required?

We have considered just trying to weld the proposed material and see how it goes, but worry that appearance would not be as reliable as tested, engineered procedures.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 07-19-2005 02:55
I believe the lower lead content would improve weldabilty, even though the zinc content is slightly increased. I have to admit I have welded some brass, but not either of these grades of material. Perhaps someone else has some experience on this grade of brass.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW welding of brass