Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Popular certifications
- - By welding25 Date 07-20-2005 03:02
Hi everybody, I have a question concerning certification to the AWS structrual welding code-steel and bridge welding code. I was wandering what certification is the most popular when welding steel buildings and bridges/overpasses? What tests are required? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 07-20-2005 12:39
As a QA Manager in a fabrication shop, I would say concerntrating on FCAW-G and SMAW with E70XX minimum, in all positions and SAW, handheld and track, would cover most all structural/bridge applications. Broadening that to the field, you could include FCAW-S, again in all positions. GMAW may also be used in some shops, but not any come to mind around here.

Tests that are required include 1" plate, with backing, in the 3G and 4G positions to cover all positions and 1/8" to unlimited thicknesses. Of course SAW in 1G position only.

Getting certifications through AWS (which I am not personally experienced with) or an outside agency or union hall may help you get your foot in a door, but more probably you will have to qualify/certify with the employer that hires you.

Hope that helps you get started.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-04-2005 16:58
My vote would be to take the one inch structural plate test(s) per AWS D1.1. SMAW and FCAW for field work and FCAW, maybe GMAWS (Spray) for shop work.

Most states require the welder to work on a state bridge project inorder to maintain the certification once it has been issued. The certification will lapse if the welder isn't specifically welding on a bridge project covered by DOT.

Maintaining certification to the D1.1 Structural Welding Code/Steel is usually easier. The welder simply must show continuity by maintaining a welder's log of the projects he/she has been working on to demonstrate no periods of inactivity.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-09-2008 18:55
I know this is old thread, but after searching I haven't got a clear answer.
when qualifying A welder using a handheld SAW is it considered A "welder" or "welding operator"?
It is a mechanized(somewhat) Process that according to A3.0 (welding operator) but also is semiautomatic.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-09-2008 22:42
Wouldn't that be the same as a welder using fcaw or gmaw?

I read through the other thread and noticed that I did post in the form of a question, like above. Sorry about that
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-10-2008 01:46
I would vote for semiautomatic.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-10-2008 02:59
It would, but the travel speed is controlled
Looking at some old welder quals, they Tested on a 15 inch plate as you would for a operator,thats what got me confused, along with the defination of welding operator.

thanks,
Carl

No problem Hogan, I was rather enjoying a day off and didn't have my game face on so I probably misread something too!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Popular certifications