Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / which miller tig??
- - By Onebadpolaris Date 07-20-2005 03:43
im really new to tig welding and mainly what ill be using it for is builing atv frames and swingarms and a-arms fabrication like that out of chromoly tubing ... I was looking at the maxstar 200 miller and the dynasty 200 .. theres like a 700$ difference anywayz would the maxstar be fine for that fab? .. or should i just spend the money and get the dynasty? could use the help if any suggestions thanks Austin
Parent - By jay72chevy (*) Date 07-20-2005 16:34
Probably the Dynasty would do the job no doubt. Just my opinion. Put the money out once to buy the best for your needs.
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 07-21-2005 02:51
If aluminum is part of the equation then the Dynasty is the only answer as it will do AC and the Maxstar won't. If you never plan to do aluminum then the Maxstar is a fine machine, basically the Dynasty without the AC circuitry. I own a Dynasty and have welded with a maxstar and if they were covered up I doubt you could tell the diferance in DC arc from either machine. I'll not talk down the Dynasty as I love mine but the Maxstar is a very nice DC inverter.

Peace,
pjs
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 07-24-2005 06:45
AC is not the only way to weld aluminum.

DC straight polarity with helium works well on thicker material. This is a common mil-spec procedure.

Requires a bit more skill, though.

Good Luck

brande
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 07-25-2005 01:28
brande:
You are correct but that is an above average welders ability to do it well, where AC is relatively easy by comparison. I have tried it and it really kicked my butt and I wouldn't even think of doing it as a for pay job since my skill isn't that good!!!

Peace,
pjs
Parent - By MAC702 (*) Date 07-31-2005 18:28
The other thing about it to remember is that with no EP, there will be no cleaning action on the arc. DCSP for Aluminum requires much cleaner material.

For example, there will be times when only AC might do the job, such as a cast motor housing that has seen lots of oil on the other side.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / which miller tig??