Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / A slightly stupid question.
- - By drake (*) Date 07-28-2005 11:16
After reading through the past 3 or so years of posts I do have a question.

With CWI and ASNT Lvl I II and III

Im not sure of the difference.

Are CWIs only certified for inspecting AWS codes and ANST for the other set (sorry for the brainfart, been at work all night)

I know how one gets CWI certs but not ANST I or II

Any info would be helpful.

~Drake
Parent - By RBeldyk (**) Date 07-28-2005 12:15
Drake,

NDT Level I & II certification are obtain from you employeer via taking training and examination inaccordance with ASNT SNT-TC-1A and CP-189.

ACCP Level II & III certification can be obtain via ASNT, see this website http://asnt.org/certification/levelii/index.htm .

The ASNT Level III certification is obtained by taking the required examinations given by ASNT. See this website http://asnt.org/certification/leveliii/index.htm

Rich
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 07-28-2005 17:08
An AWS CWI can inspect to any code provided the have the knowledge and experience with them and contract specification do not state otherwise. For example a CWI can inspect to ASME, API or AWS. People are more comfortable working with certain codes. For me I am more familiar with AWS than ASME.

Just my thoughts.

Brian
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-28-2005 18:30
One singular exception that I am personally aware of: ASME Section III, Subsection NF (Nuclear Supports) REQUIRES an ASNT SNT-TC-1a Level II, even for the visual.
Parent - - By - Date 07-28-2005 21:24
Hey Jon,
I believe a CWI is limited to only visual inpesction unless he/she has other certification that qualify for more.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-29-2005 09:42
Chuck; I would tend to agree, however VT is considered an NDE process under ASME III, Sub NF so a CWI will not (by itself) qualify under that code to do visual weld inspections. Strange, eh? Gotta love the screwed up nuclear world!!!
Parent - - By RBeldyk (**) Date 07-29-2005 12:11
It all depends on the "Written Practice" of the inspector's employer. Most "Written Practices" that I have reviewed agree that a CWI is and VT NDT Level II, without futher examination. This must be documented.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-29-2005 13:15
You are absolutely correct Dr. Beldyk. An employer's written practice may authorize the use of a CWI for VT type NDE inspections and take credit for the "external" testing (by AWS) of that person for compliance with SNT-TC-1a recommendations (which are requirements in the nuclear industry).
Parent - By - Date 07-29-2005 22:19
That is all true, except that in the nuclear industry you would have a hard time indeed satisfying your client that a CWI has met the Specific Examination requirements (unless of course the nuclear work in question was structural related). Remember that the specific means just what its name implies - specific to the codes and product forms that the employer works with.
Mankenberg
Parent - By Arnie Corpuz (*) Date 07-30-2005 06:24
CWI Inspector are not limited to AWS code. In fact Certified Welding Inspectors are trained to interpret different code and perform visual inspection based on the governing codes or standards. On the other hand ASNT Level II certified personnel are trained to perform various NDT method and interpret the result while Level I personnel can perform NDT methods under the supervision of a certified ASNT Level II. ASNT level III personnel are more on certifying personnel and writing N.D.T. procedures based on the international codes and standards plus Client Requirements.

Regards,

Arnie

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-01-2005 14:39
This is a great question and should lead to a lively discusion.

The SCWI, CWI, and CAWI are certifications issued by a nationally recognized organization, the AWS. The individual is certified by an unbiased third party, i.e., it is not an employer based certification.

The ASNT ACCP certification, like the AWS QC1 program, is a central certification issued by a third party, i.e., the ASNT. It is not employer based.

Both AWS QC1 and ASNT ACCP certifications can be accepted by the employer without further testing. However, the customer may require additional testing and employer certification for some applications or industries.

Certification in accordance with ASNT's Recommended Practice SNT-TC-1A and CP-189 are both employer based certifications. The certification is valid only as long as the individual is employed by the company that certified the individual as meeting the qualification requirements of their written practice.

Some industries require the QC1 and/or ACCP certified individuals to be certified in accordance with their employer's written practice before they are permitted to perform NDT (including VT) on projects for contractual and/or legal reasons.

The bottom line is that both QC1 and ACCP inspection personnel have been tested by third parties and certified as meeting the qualification
requirements of the respective central certification programs. The central certification programs serve a service to industry by creating a uniform basis used to assess the individual's knowledge and experience. These programs remove some of the biases that may be present is some employer based certification program.

An individual listed as a Level III is an individual that has been tested and certified by the employer in accordance with SNT-TC-1A or CP-189.

Both the ASNT NDT Level III and the ASNT ACCP Level III Professional have been tested and certified by the American Society for Nondestructive Testing. The ACCP Level III Professional has passed a practical test as well as demonstrated the ability to write an inspection procedure.

As far as what codes can each inspect to, it depends on the individual. ASNT SNT-TC-1A and CP-189 include provisions for a specific examination that should include questions on the specific code, standards, and procedures expected to be encounted in performing their duties.

Hope this helps.

Best regards - Al Moore
Parent - By Arnie Corpuz (*) Date 08-02-2005 08:18
That's a more precise explanation on this topic.......... I agree with you Al.

Regards,

Arnie
Parent - By flighter Date 08-20-2005 05:32
Thanks your professional and practical explanation, AI.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / A slightly stupid question.