Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld All Around Symbol
- - By mernst Date 07-28-2005 14:09
Does the weld all around symbol require that the weld create a closed loop? We have a case where a plate has a "C" channel frame along three sides if it. The design engineer chose to use the weld all around symbol for this. Is this OK? Or must the weld specify "3 sides" instead?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-28-2005 14:50
The symbol should state 3 sides in the tail or point to the 3 areas weld is to be deposited. If the symbol shows all around and the internal surfaces are not welded then the weld should be rejected upon inspection.
Parent - - By - Date 07-29-2005 22:27
I agree. No question.
Mankenberg
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-30-2005 10:25
mernst,

Although I don't think it applies here, there are conditions that fillet welds should not be continuous. See 2.8.3.5 and Figure 2.8 in D1.1. The main reason for this is to eliminate the potential for notching. Also, I look through the design drawings and get familiar with a job before we start detailing and fabrication. Once I see the fabrication drawings, I sometimes see "all around" welded joints where they couldn't possibly be needed. I go back and look at the design drawings, and there are no welding symbols shown for some of these. I have found that sometimes the detailer just shows all around welds just so he doesn't have to do any calculations. Sometimes the designer does the same thing. Are any of you seeing anything similar to this?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld All Around Symbol