Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Brick Ledgers to 16 gage CFMF studs
- - By bruce craig Date 08-02-2005 02:21
I have a question concerning welding support steel to CFMF metal studs. We are trying to hang Galvanized Structural Angle for Brick Ledger to CFMF metal studs. The original weld procedure called for a Flare Groove weld using E6010 rods.

This left us with many welds of various sizes and shapes with results on the inside of the studs varying from mild melt thru with some powdering of the galv. coating on the studs to extreme cases with crusty buildups of black sugared masses. I have not seen this kind of poor quality before.

In the interest of trying to save the work, what is your opinion of the amount of interior distortion acceptable per D1.3, inside the studs? Is there any criteria concerning max. weld size? D1.3 seems to say that any melt-thru is acceptable as long as no holes are associated with the weld. I do not agree with that concept entirely. I feel that the inspector's discretion is in order concerning the destruction of the CFMF stud by excessive heat. I have received many verbal interpretations of acceptable conditions, yet no one is stepping up to sign off on acceptance reports. Your opinions are welcome.

Bruce
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 08-15-2005 03:01
Are the studs damaged by burn thru (areas of root that did not coalesce and left a visible hole)? How about undercut? Are cracks visible? Does the contractor have a valid WPS?
Standard weld technique for this type of weld is E 6010 down hill welding.

Any loss of strength would be in the stud material; as you have expressed your concern. If you are the engineer of record you may change the variables of welding. Perhaps wire feed inner shield might do the trick.

Crusty sugared masses do not affect the serviceability of structural members However; this would be a concern for stainless steel piping (gas, steam, or fluids). Best regards - VONASH
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Brick Ledgers to 16 gage CFMF studs