Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Mobile Welding???
- - By oglesbywelds (*) Date 08-04-2005 02:22
Are there any suggestions/questions on what I need to look for prior to doing this by anyone on the forum??? Don't get me wrong. I have done my research and approximately 10 yrs of welding experience. But is that enough? I'll never know until I try it. But I so passionately want to do this because I know I can. Although, I do feel that I do need maybe a little more experience in the fabrication department. I will need to take some classes or work in the garage or both to do this. Even per job. Any thoughts???

Thanks, Sam
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-04-2005 10:18
Sam,
I'd say go for it, especially since you so strongly believe that you can. Face it, you will not be satisfied until you do. As for fabrication experience, a class probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but they can't really prepare you for what happens in the real world. Once you get out in the field, things sometimes don't go as planned, so you'll have to learn to adapt quickly. If you're smart enough, you'll figure out how to get the job done, and along the way you'll realize faster and easier ways to get things done that will save you both time and money but still give the customers what they want. If you run into something that you have questions about, we'll still be here to help. Anybody can learn to read drawings and learn to weld, but it's learning those "fabrication shortcuts", the tricks of the trade, that will set you apart from some of the others. Good luck.
Parent - By oglesbywelds (*) Date 08-05-2005 01:26
Thanks brother...your response is greatly appreciated. Wheeew. I'm just gonna do it...go for the gusto. A little intimitated I guess by the competition and having the responsibility being completely mine. Hindsight, that's what gives me the rush being on the job. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I know what my next step is. Again thanks.

Sam
Parent - By ross (***) Date 08-05-2005 15:31
I was working on the Health and Safety Sheet pages and thought of your post.
If you haven't already, check out Health and Safety Sheet #29, "Grounding of Portable and Vehicle Mounted Welding Generators" at http://www.aws.org/technical/facts/

All the Health and Safety Sheets are free downloads.

Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-06-2005 06:09
If you've been welding for ten years I'm confident that you can do it well enough. The thing you don't speak to is running a small business, which is what you now propose to do. If you take courses perhaps things like simple bookkeeping, estimating and so forth might be helpful. The small business administration used to offer mentoring to new small businesses (I'm not sure if that is still true).

I wish for you that this venture will bring you satisfaction and prosperity.

Bill
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 08-10-2005 15:06
Bill has a very good point, you need to run a small business. That will be 60% of your time, actual welding will be 20% max. I have been a welding professional for 10 years. I have been doing the mobile/ fab shop welding for 6 years . The best thing I can tell you is to keep your head up cuz it will take many months to get enough business to support you. Also, don't turn down anything that you know you can do, no matter how small (or big). Just remember that you have 1/2 of the overhead that big operations have. Get the price you want, don't try to get rich off the first job, but get enough to cover you. Phone book ads are a good place to start getting your name out. Next thing is to go out and solicit work. This is by far the hardest part of running your own operation. You need everyone to know what you do, then they need to find your # easily, then you have to be ready when they call. Big operations like mines, quarries, factories, railroads, excavators, ect. all break down and need things fixed NOW. You want them calling you, and you need to respond. That's where you get a good name and word of mouth. Drop me a line if you want to get more into it: mdgwelding@yahoo.com
Good Luck
MDG
Parent - By beracah (*) Date 09-26-2005 03:34
Sam,

Like yourself, I struck out on my own after ten years of welding. I had just bought a home, and I had $50 dollars to my name and a baby due at the end of the month! Needless to say, everyone thought I had lost my mind. Looking back, it was hands down the best move I have ever made!

It was not easy getting started. I took a part time job to make ends meet and usually spent my dinner break with the phone to my ear, trying to drum up business.

All the work that I have found has been through word of mouth so don't be afraid to knock on a few doors and shake some hands. My local welding society chapter was also very helpful. Also you could try to contact some local welding shops. They sometimes use contract help or, at the very least they can point you to someone who may need your services.

Remember to always be neat and professional. This applies to your truck, too. It could well be your best advertisement!

Good luck and remember. "He who is chief is servant to all."

Beracah
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Mobile Welding???