Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / High Temperature Couplant
- - By shashikant Date 08-04-2005 05:19
We got a job for SAW pipe online testing. We have developed manipulator for weld testing and we are placing it after the welding process and there the temperature is around 250 degree. We are testing by Ultrasonic test method and we don’t want to use cool Water as a coplant. So please suggest us the couplant manufacturer name? Can we use Hot water? Any other possibilities for online weld testing?
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-04-2005 07:45
Is the transducer itself able to survive the temperature? There are silicone greases that could work. Synthetic motor oil might also work. Just brainstorming here, not my line of work.
Bill
Parent - - By shashikant Date 08-04-2005 08:07
Thanks for Reply. No The transducer are normal but we are maintaining the gap around 0.5 mm in between the pipe surface and probe surface also we are using hard face material for probe construction.
Another question is the production rate is fast and For continuous online testing conservation of the couplant is more i.e 1 liters in 1 minute.
Is the silicone greases or Synthetic motor oil cost effective solution?
Are there any possibilities that these couplant will changed the weld strength characteristics?
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 08-04-2005 12:50
I'm not at all familiar with your particular set up, but here is a link to my couplant supplier. They have 15 different varieties of high temp couplants.

http://www.sonotech-inc.com/

~thirdeye~
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / High Temperature Couplant