Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS D1.1 - Girth Weld Alignment
- - By Kraj Date 08-09-2005 09:39
As per AWS D1.1 clause 5.22.3.1 "no two girth welds shall be located closer than one pipe diameter or 3 Ft whichever is less. The same has been stated in API 2B clause 5.5. API Further states that there shall be no more than two girth welds in any 10Ft interval of Pipe.

One of our Contractor received 3 meter length of rolled pipe made with 3 sections of 1 meter length which duly meets the requirements of API 2B 5.5. The Contractor was doing the assembly of the rolled pipes for Jacket Leg. When the contractor assemble this 3 meter pipe (2 joints) with another pipe section, it violates the condition of no more than two girth welds in any 10 Ft interval of pipe stated in AWS D1.1 clause 5.22.3.1 & API 2B clause 5.5.

Contractor states that these conditions are applicable for fabrication of Pipe only and not for Heavy Structural Fabrication like offshore platform / Jacket.

I would like to have the AWS Forum members opinion on this matter.

Regards,
K.Raj
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-09-2005 16:42
I'll take a shot.
A couple of things stand out to me in reading 5.22.3.1. The first is that the owner and fabricator must agree on any exceptions; so having welds closer than one pipe diameter could be acceptable in cases where there is agreement. (That assumes a discussion between owner and fabricator takes place first.)

The second item I am not sure about. The 1st sentence says "...parts to be joined by a girth weld...". I am unclear about the actual pipe to pipe joint you are talking about, but I would think that a branch fish-mouth or miter-cut would not be considered a girth weld. (I don't have A3.0 handy)
If you are simply splicing pipes to form a straight leg, then I think the joint is a girth weld and 5.22.3.1 would apply.

Chet Guilford

Either way, it is important to discuss
Parent - - By - Date 08-09-2005 22:02
You state that "Contractor states that these conditions are applicable for fabrication of Pipe only and not for Heavy Structural Fabrication like offshore platform / Jacket."

The title of API 2B is "Specification for the Fabrication of Structural Steel Pipe". If I read correctly what you say is your contractor's position, they are incorrect. Pipe fabbed to API 2B is indeed pipe, and most of the time that pipe is used in the construction of offshore platforms of various types, including jackets. The requirements of paragraph 5.5 of 2B would be applicable, however, in all cases where 2B is specified, unless as Chet said in his posting, something else has been formally agreed to between the owner and the fabricator.

Keep in mind also Chet's other point. If when the contractor assembled this spool with another spool it was a butt joint, then it would be a girth weld and in violation of paragraph 5.5. On the other hand, if it was a TKY, then it is not a girth weld and that requirement of 5.5 was satisfied.
Mankenberg
Parent - By Kraj Date 08-10-2005 06:37
Thanks for both of you. Please be noted that here contractor is using free issue fabricated pipes (Outside Dia 1800mm) supplied by the client for fabrication of Jacket Leg. As per AWS D1.1 it violates the requirement and not acceptable. But the contractor states that since API 2B accepts 2 welds in 3 meter as a separate pipe and after the assembly with another pipe section need to accepted. And further contractor states that these are applicable only for the tubular and not for Jacket Fabrication. API 2B can't be considered since the contractor is not fabricating the pipes. As AWS stating except the agreement between the owner and contractor, as the owner we are not agreeing to this and as a contractor they are not ready to agree with this clause. For Contractor this is neither pipe nor tubular. This is the Structural steel Fabricated component.

K.Raj
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS D1.1 - Girth Weld Alignment