Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Positions for Procedure Qualifications
- - By AOK (*) Date 08-09-2005 15:56
Am I understanding B2.1:2000 correctly? In the Procedure Qual. Variables
section 2.14.4 Position, it states that Vertical uphill progression qualifies all positions. I can't find any other information concerning changes in position for procedure quals. I know that for welder quals, the welders need to test in 2,3, and 4G to qualify for all positions.
Parent - - By Mtnweld Date 08-25-2005 02:22
I just got qualified 6G ( 2" sch 80 @ a 45 degree angle fixed)was told it qualified me all postion.
Parent - - By jerrykroll (**) Date 08-25-2005 16:41
I believe that B2.1 is much like ASME IX - position (progression excluded)is NOT an essential variable for PROCEDURE qualification (except for cladding, hardfacing, or toughness applications).

Welder PERFORMANCE testing/qualification does require position limitations
(see Table 3.5)
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-25-2005 18:26
I was thinking the same thing Jerry but I don't have a copy of B2.1 so I bit my tongue... or my fingers in this case, lol! It's my belief that B2.1 is trying to model itself very similar to ASME IX structure and requirements; wouldn't it be great if there were a "Universal" procedure and performance qualification code???
Parent - - By jcam (*) Date 08-26-2005 16:56
Per AWS B2.1:2005 (yes it is out finally) the variables listed in 2.14.4 Position are only applicable for toughness, cladding and hardfacing applications but only for the processes indicated by the T, C or H in the column. Just as with ASME IX, position is not an essential variable but it must be addressed on the WPS. Engineering judgement and common sense should also be applied. Welder qualification tetsting will prove if the WPS is usable in other positions.
Parent - By AOK (*) Date 08-29-2005 14:20
Thanks for clarifying that issue, I thought no one would ever answer that. Thanks again.

Andrea
Parent - By gonzaloivan Date 09-20-2005 16:11
I want to know the level of welder and inspectors by certificade
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Positions for Procedure Qualifications