Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 vs CWS
- - By ECASILLAS Date 08-09-2005 19:24
Could someone tell me which are the main differences between AWS D1.1 vs. CWS (Canadian Welding Society or Boreu) if there are some?
or if I can take CWS as an equal procedure and certificate as AWS to certify the welder for Structure Welding with worldwide validity?
Please Advise - Thank you
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-09-2005 19:40
Current or previous qualification by the Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) in conformance with the requirements of the Canadian Standard Association (CSA) Standard W178.2, Certification of Welding Inspectors, is an acceptable basis for qualification in accordance with D1.1, however the Engineer could specify otherwise in the contract documents.
Parent - By pomrinkj Date 03-22-2006 16:27
You addressed Welding Inspector Certification. Is certification in accordance with W47.1 and W59 for welders equivalent to AWS D1.1 ?
Parent - By NEQA (**) Date 03-31-2006 21:17
As a Design Engineer, I asked the same exact question several months ago (not on this site). Finally, went directly to CWB, and they very kindly sent me a 27-page Clause-by-Clause comparative review between D1.1:2004, W59-03, and W47.1-3. Not sure if what they sent me is copyrighted material. Try giving them a call and ask for a copy.

Keep in mind, however, this review was prepared by CWB and in many instances they indicate a paragraph in W59 and/or W47 is equal to D1.1. This means that the contents of the particular paragraph are similar but the wording is different. To me, this means they are not the same, at least that was the conclusion we reached.

Overall, though, a very useful piece of work.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 vs CWS