Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Current flow, low conductivity coolant
- - By bobpiet Date 08-11-2005 04:14
I am trying to understand the fundemental reason low conductivity coolant can be used in a water cooled GTAW torch. I realize it suppresses HF but it seems counter intuitive for maintaining current.

My 200 amp rig requires a #2 copper wire on the work clamp; on the other end of the circuit the current flows through a small diameter water filled tube.

What happens when I use low conductivity coolant? Power losses?

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-11-2005 08:25

Bob,

Your GTAW torch power cable has more than a tube filled with water, the tube also has a power cable. The coolant keeps the cable from melting the tube.

Most GTAW torch coolants that can be purchased are bottled Glycol (anti-freeze).

In a closed GTAW coolant system, the biggest advantage of glycol over water is corrosion prevention. If particals build up in the coolant they will clog the line at the torch head and the torch will over heat soon after. The lower ionization potential of the coolant is supposed to help with the High Frequency for arc starting and alternating current.
Parent - By bobpiet Date 08-11-2005 18:12
Thanks Lawrence - it makes sense.

Now that I've shaken the tube I can hear the cable inside - smaller gauge but water cooled; very efficient engineering.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Current flow, low conductivity coolant