Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Need advice on "welding robot"
- - By ownmind (*) Date 08-12-2005 08:00
We are planning on starting a wear-plate manufacturing facility using "plasma transferred arc" technology. We want to use a simple robot to do this job. Welding does not involve contours, etc and is quite repetitive. We have no earlier experience with a welding-robot. Can someone lead us through the basics of how to choose a robot-system for our kinda applications?
Parent - - By awill4wd (**) Date 08-12-2005 10:51
Have a look at Ed Craig's site at www.weldreality.com he can be a bit bombastic, particularly in regard to pulse Mig welding but I have a feeling he's probably right in what he says about the pulse Mig process and its applications.
His site has quite a bit of info about robotic welding and some of its problems.
Regards Andrew.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 08-12-2005 13:27
You can contact any one of the three major robot manufactures, they have application engineers that will work with you to develop the right system for you. Motoman North America, Dayton, OH or ABB Robotics, Auburn Hills, MI or Fanuc North America, Rochester Hills, MI. All of these companies have welding and cutting experts to help you develop the exact system that you need to make the parts. They also do their own integration, so you will get a turn key system. I have worked with every one of these manufactures over the years, and they all do a good job. Mig, Tig, plasma, laser (Co2/ Nd:Yag), resistance, and material handling are all processes that I have worked on with robots from any one of these manufactures. Some smaller integration houses with good welding expertise are Genesis Systems Group, Davenport IA, RPT, Auburn Hills, MI and Accu-Built in Jackson, MI. Your in good hands with any of these groups.
Parent - - By rsliker (*) Date 08-12-2005 16:33
MDG,
I second your opinion of Genesis Systems Group.
These folks are one of the best I know of. Having built a cell for us that was in the cost range of 7 figures, it performs today as well as it did when it was first installed nearly 5 years ago. There installation people are top notch as is there tech support department.
They also provided excellent training for our technicians that allowed for a very smooth start up of the equipment. Great people to work with.
RS
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 08-12-2005 19:54
RS,
Are the parts your welding large, or smaller automotive assemblies?? I have used Genesis on small car frame stuff, but I know much of their business is agricultural and heavy industry. Some of the positioners and welding equipment I have seen there is truly amazing.
MDG
Parent - By rsliker (*) Date 08-15-2005 11:41
MDG
You may have seen something like the Monster they built for us.
Truss type structures welded on our system range between 8' to 25' long with an average of 20 welds per side. Three pairs of positioners rotate each separate structure 180 degrees as two welding robots travel along a 60' track. It is very impressive. RS
Parent - By bitthird Date 08-17-2005 17:42
Remember to keep it simple, or as simple as possible. PTA is definitely a superb process if you need to control thickness and dilution. I assume you will be applying some form of powder hardfacing. Check out Dan Allford at ARC Specialties in Houston, TX. (http://www.arcspecialties.com/home.htm) He has done a number of PTA units from simple XYZ axis welding machines to full blown ABB robotic versions using PTA, GTAW and GMAW. He was instrumental in developing a PTA machine for applying Cobalt based “Stellite” type materials as well as Ni matrix with WC granules.
Parent - By ownmind (*) Date 08-18-2005 05:25
Thanks guyz. Regarding how large the components are - the maximum would be plates of 8'x4' rectangular. All else would be smaller than these.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Need advice on "welding robot"