Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Copper to 316 Stainless Steel.
- - By markrieb Date 08-15-2005 19:30
A project we are considering bidding on calls for welding copper plate/sheet to 316 stainless steel.

We have TIG welded copper electrical buss work together before without too much difficulty as well as other stainless, high nickle and titanium alloys (hastelloy, inconel, Ti-7).

The web-research I have done has been pretty fruitless. One article from 1960 about welding copper pipe to stainless flanges (all that is available on line is the executive summary, it is $30 for a reprint of the article - too much for an article dated 1960), and one mention of using an aluminum-bronze filler.

Anybody have any suggestions for filler metal? I pretty much assume we will have to use the TIG process.

Can copper and stainless be brazed or soldered together and still get reasonable joint strength?

The design calls for 1/2" of beryllium bonded to 1/2" of copper bonded to 2.5" of stainless. The Be-Cu is easy enough, once you get past the health and safety issues of dealing with the Be.

Thanks,

Mark
Parent - By SWP (**) Date 08-16-2005 14:12
These metals are not metallurgically compatible for fusion welding. Molten copper infiltrates the stainless steel HAZ grain bounderies causing cracking. Depending on the joint design you are able to use, the copper-stainless steel can be oxy-acetylene silver brazed or GTA brazed with excellent strength. I cannot reccommend a oxy-acetylene silver braze alloy, but for GTA brazing you may try a silicon bronze alloy, called Everdure.
Parent - - By rsliker (*) Date 08-16-2005 17:52
I 've used silicon bronze for welding dissimilar combinations, with GMA and had good results.
Check out this supplier and the info on their site : www.wisconsinwireworks.com
RS
Parent - By SWP (**) Date 08-17-2005 14:39
thanks for the web site.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Copper to 316 Stainless Steel.