Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Qualifying dissimilar joint
- - By dong won oh (*) Date 11-15-2000 10:28
ASME section 9
I have qualified P no. 1 carbon steel and P no. 8 316L stainless steel separately for SMAW.
Now I have a joint between carbon steel and 316L.
I am going to use 309L electrode.
I have a question, "Do I need a new qualification test for this one, or can I make a WPS with two separate PQR.
This may be stupid question.
I have asked my friends and they say Yes you need new pq test.
Thank you.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 11-15-2000 12:05
Did you use 309L filler metal for your stainless procedure?
Parent - By dong won oh (*) Date 11-15-2000 12:39
I have used 316L electrode for Pq test of 316L/316L.
I plan to use 309L for carbon steel/316L dissimilar joint.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 11-15-2000 13:08
Ok, that is the same F-No. so, it is not important. However, I do believe after reading ASME IX, Table QW-424, I believe you must do another PQR. If you would have originally performed a PQR on P-1 to P-8 using 3XXL filler metal, you would be qualified to weld P-1 to P-8 and P-8 to P-8 using 3XXL filler metal, but not P-1 to P-1 due to the fact you used S/S filler metal. So, therefore, I do believe your friends are correct. You must qualify another proicedure for P-1 to P-8 using 3XXL filler metal. At least that is my interpretation of ASME IX. By the way, I am still looking into your other question about using procedures "qualified by others". We are going through the same thing. Not looking good though. By the way, that is not a stupid question. Procedure quals can get very complicated.
Parent - - By R. Johnson (**) Date 11-15-2000 16:09
ASME Section IX QW-201 states' "It is not permissible for the manufacturer or contractor to have the welding of the test weldments performed by another organization. It is permissible, however, to subcontract any or all of the work of preparation of test metal for welding and subquent work on preparation of test speciments from the completed weldment, performance of nondestructive examination, and mechanical tests, provided the manufacturer or contractor accepts the resonsibility for any such work."
It also states, "The manufacturer or contractor shall certify that he has qualified each Welding Procedure Specification, performed the procedure qualification test, and documented it with the necessary Procedure Qualification Record (PQR)."
I read this as stating that you cannot use welding procedures qualified by others for use by your company.
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 11-16-2000 04:58
We know ASME IX states that, however ASME B31.3 has provisions we are trying to interpret. That was a previous question Mr. oh asked. B31.3 allows you to use other contractor procedures for certain P-Number materials provided the procedures meet certain criteria. First being accepted by the inspector, less than 3/4", no PWHT required, etc. I don't have it in fron of me, but I will get the paragraph. We are deciding if we can apply it or does ASME IX take presedence.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Qualifying dissimilar joint