Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 Visual Welding Inspection
- - By balesius Date 08-23-2005 15:31
Is it the intent of AWS D1.1 that visual inspection of welds can be accomplished by the welder.
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 08-23-2005 18:04
The welder should always visually inspect his or her welds. If AWS D1.1 is the code that covers the welding performed,then yes the welder and weld inspector should visually inspect all welds according to Table 6.1 (Visual Inspection Acceptance Criteria)
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-23-2005 18:45
Agreed, with emphasis on the welding inspector being the one responsible for performing the final inspection.
Parent - - By - Date 08-23-2005 19:52
Agree with you and Jon. The welder should be the "first" line of inspection.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-23-2005 21:49
I agree. Our welders are educated and trained to check their welds to the visual acceptance criteria of 6.1, and our goal is to have the quality built in, rather than inspected into our welds, and everything else. Our inspector is responsible for the final visual.
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 08-23-2005 23:45
Yep! Fabrication section requires welder to clean welds for inspection (5.30.2). This is the time the welder should check the quality of their work.
I explain to the welder “It’s the craftsperson that puts the quality in their work. The inspector can not make it bad or good after the work is done.
Best regards,
Vonash
Parent - By mjf (*) Date 08-24-2005 09:45
yes of course, if the weld is performed by a qualified welder, of course his must inpect the weld before the welding inspector
regards
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 08-24-2005 15:12
I agree that the welder "should" perform an inspection of his or her welds as QCCWI, cmeadows & vonash have mentioned (and the majority do). Furthermore I agree with the company policy that swnorris mentioned. I wish more fabricators had this type of policy.

But as far as the intent of the code....the code does not have a mandatory requirement for the welder to inspect welds, otherwise it would use the term "shall". It does not even require that the actual welder perform the cleaning or his or her welds, just that post weld cleaning is required.

The designated inspector (who, as jon mentioned, is the one responsible for performing the final inspection), needs only to meet the minimum requirements in Section 6, Part A.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 08-24-2005 17:16
If you have an in-process inspection plan, this would take care of it. It puts responsibility back on the operator/welder.

Brian
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 08-24-2005 20:10
The welds need to be cleaned for visual inspection.
I still carry my chipping hammer; however if there is a multitude of uncleaned welds I mention paragraph 5.30.2 of the code.
Best regards,
Vonash
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 Visual Welding Inspection