Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS D1.1 NDT Requirements
- - By balesius Date 08-23-2005 18:34
Does AWS D1.1 require or provide a minimum amount of NDT? Or is NDT only provided when the Engineer, owner or fabricator requires it.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-23-2005 18:44
NDT is only required when specified in contrat documents. D1.1 requires only that 100% visual inspection be performed.
Parent - - By mjf (*) Date 08-24-2005 15:03
I think that NDT is performed following the contract documentation and it's done under the owner supervision. And also depend of the type of construction, i.e: RT on all butt gas piping joints or preasure testing on a fresh water piping. you understand that NDT is performance depend also of the using of the fabricated piece. i think so,,,,, am i wrong??
tell me
regards
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-24-2005 16:04
well, the person was questioning D1.1 requirements so butt gas joints and other types of construction would be another topic.
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 08-24-2005 20:30
Jon20013 is right in regard to AWS D1.1, etc. structural standards.
The AWS code allows the inspector to perform NDT when necessary to back up visual findings; additionally, and most important, the engineer of record, the project drawings and specifications, which are part of the contract documents, delineate NDT types of tests, frequency of tests and acceptance criteria. Most of these are based on the codes and standards we use in the industry.
Basic specifications will have a section for Testing Lab services (section 0014 in most specs) which will sometimes specify NDT requirements such as ultrasonic tests or radiography. Sometimes the general notes of the drawing will specify special inspections including NDT.
I hope this helps, best regards,
Vonash
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS D1.1 NDT Requirements