Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 Welder Qualification
- - By UCV Date 08-24-2005 17:22
Good afternoon, could someone tell me which are the type of tests required to qualify a welder according AWS D1.1 using a WPS for plate without backing? Thanks.
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 08-24-2005 19:24
Could you tell me if you are trying to qualify the welder on tube or pipe or can the work be welded from both sides with 1 side being backgouged after the first side is welded?
Parent - - By UCV Date 08-25-2005 13:04
I’m trying to qualify the welder on plate without backing from one side only.
Parent - By Bill Mc (**) Date 08-26-2005 17:14
Have you qualified the welding procedure already?
If so, in what position(s)?
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 08-26-2005 19:17
You will find that it will not be in compliance with AWS D1.1 if you are intending the weld to be considered CJP.
Parent - By Bill Mc (**) Date 08-29-2005 12:08
Actually, AWS D1.1 does allow for some complete joint penetration made from one side only without backing if the joint is designed as:

a. "Secondary or nonstress-carrying members and shoes or other nonstressed appurtenances," or

b. "Corner joints parallel to the direction of calculated stress, between componants for built-up members designed primarily for axial stress".

You still need to qualify the procedure and welders.
Parent - By UCV Date 08-31-2005 14:25
Thanks for all the usefull information, somehow, I have some more doubts:
a) AWS D1.1 prohibit the use of this type of welds (CJP without backing) for cyclically loaded nontubular connections (bridges), but I´m not sure if they are prohibited for statically loaded ones (buildings) too.
b) The main function of a backing strip is to assure weld proper penetration only or it has an structural importance during the fabrication and "service" of the building?
c) The objective of the WPS is butt and fillet welding of tapered flange rolled beams, any suggestions?
Thanks again (sorry, I’m afraid my english is not good enough).
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 Welder Qualification