Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Gasless FCAW ?
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-24-2005 19:12
Looking for a recomendation for a (9mm/ 0.035) self shielded FCAW wire to be used with a little hobart handler 110 unit on some non sanitary dairy support bracketing. This is pro-bono work so money is an object here.

I know some of the self shielded stuff can vary from vendor to vendor so if anybody has a success story out there let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Edit........ That is stainless Self shielded FCAW wire..
Parent - By Mikeomni1 (*) Date 08-24-2005 19:25
I pick up Lincoln NR-211-MP (E71T-11) on 1 lb spools at Home Depot for use with my little 110 volt welder. Welds just fine.

Regards,
Mike
Parent - - By Bob Sigmon (*) Date 08-27-2005 16:58
Lawrence,

The Stainless fluxcore wire that is out there is still used with a shielding gas, usually less than 25% CO2. And it is expensive as all get out.

Do you have access to a someone with a Maxstar 150 STH? Maxstar 200? Dynasty 200? They would handle the stainless very well and you can get a smaller qty of filler as they sell by the pound.
Parent - - By - Date 08-27-2005 17:22
Bob,
There is a self-shielding FCW out there that uses no external shielding. I would certainly not use it in critical applications, though. The .035" diameter wire is quite expensive, depending on the grade and alloy content, and it does not run like the shielded FCW. If you were to want an all position 308L self shielding FCW, just for example, the designation would be E308LT1-3.

Chuck
Parent - - By Bob Sigmon (*) Date 08-27-2005 17:56
Thanks for the info, Chuck! Do you have a brand name on that wire?

What I have seen was a Lincoln FC 309 "has a flux core that virtually eliminates spatter when used with argon carbon dioxide mixes containing less than 25% carbon dioxide."

I did a search and see that Lincoln has 308L (.045 - $170 and .035 - $180 for 25lb spools)
Parent - By - Date 08-27-2005 19:48
Hi Bob,
Right off hand, I can't think of the brand name of the non-shielded FCW. I can find out Monday, though. I'm the Welding Engineer/Technical Service Manager for Avesta Welding Products and all we make is Stainless Steel welding consumables, so we also make a very good SS FCW. Actually, Avesta made the very first stainless steel welding electrodes over in Avesta, Sweden back in the late 1890's. A good FCW, using a 75Ar/25CO2 mixture should produce a weld with no splatter. Straight CO2 will give a less than attractive weld bead compared to the Ar/Co2 mixture with a greater chance of splatter. When using a gas mixture to weld FCW, the mixture should be 75-80%Ar, with the remainder CO2.
Our 25# spools of .045" 308L FCW is also around $170-$175/lb., but the .035" diameter is about 25% higher due to the difficulty to mix the flux in the smaller diameter wire with the consistency to make good coverage.

Chuck
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Gasless FCAW ?