Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld process change
- - By mdm8255 Date 08-25-2005 16:21
If you change the weld process such as wire size, gas, voltage and amps do you have to requalify the weld proceedure?
I'm being told no and I find that hard to believe from what I've read in D1.1
Parent - By chall (***) Date 08-25-2005 16:41
What you are describing are welding parameters, not the process.

The process referred to is if you go from SMAW to FCAW or GTAW (or something like that).

Changing the parameters is generally allowed within the manufacturers range. There are times though, when changing some of those variables is not allowed.

It may be a good idea to arrange a consultant to review your job specifications and your welding program to decide if you may make the changes without requiring re-qualification of the procedure.

Charles
Parent - - By - Date 08-25-2005 17:19
I agree with Charles. But, let me make a couple of points. First of all, changing the wire size (diameter) in SMAW is a non-essential variable for diameters less than 1/4". The volts and amps for SMAW are a supplemental variable and "could" require requalification. Look at QW-409.1 and see if it applies to you.
For GTAW, GMAW, and FCAW, the change in single, mixture, or % of gas is an essential variable and requires requalification. The wire size for all 3 of these are the same as for SMAW. The same also applies as far as electrical characteristics as it does to SMAW.

Chuck
Parent - - By Bill Mc (**) Date 08-25-2005 18:07
Hello Chuck..
If you are referencing QW409 ...are you providing an AWS D1.1 question with an ASME answer?

D1.1 has tables of PQR essential variables that will tell you if you have to re-qualify depending on your process. For example,

While ASME sect 9 states that a change in electrode dia (SMAW) is not essential variable for re-qual. , AWS D1.1 says that for SMAW a change of over 1/32" in nom. electrode diameter requires re-qual. For GMAW any increase or decrease in electrode dia. requires re-qual., for FCAW, any increase in diameter requires re-qual.
Parent - By - Date 08-25-2005 18:24
Hi Bill,
Sorry, I guess I was not paying attention. I was only referring to ASME Sect. IX.

Chuck
Parent - - By mdm8255 Date 10-04-2005 14:56
Thanks guys your comments helped a lot.
By the way our engineering manager has brought in a weld consiultant named Ed Craig. I went to his web site and was shocked at how he knocks all weld supply makers Lincoln, Miller etc. and how he put down AWS weld expos. Has anyone any real information on this guys ability or am I to believe all the glorification he covers himself with. IS THIS GUY FOR REAL????????/
Parent - - By - Date 10-04-2005 14:59
How can we find his web site?
Parent - By mdm8255 Date 10-04-2005 15:04
Weld Reality is his website
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-04-2005 15:06

Ed Craig can be found at WWW.weldreality.com

Ed just tells it like it is... He his hard on many vendors because vendors are often hard on their customers.. American manufacturing facilities are filled with $10,000 pulsed welding power sources that have been switched to the off position because they were never necessary... Ed takes sales folks to task.

Sure he is abrasive.... But I find his advice and the work he has published to be of the highest quality.

Ed has served on MANY committees and has been a presenter at AWS Expos.

My advice with Ed's publications, like any other commentary, is to eat the meat and spit out the bones.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-04-2005 15:16
"My advice with Ed's publications, like any other commentary, is to eat the meat and spit out the bones."

Ain't that the truth:) I agree with Lawrence, Ed knows his stuff, and he don't mind talking about it.
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld process change