Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / filler metal selection
- - By donnielaron Date 08-25-2005 23:28
does anyone know of any software that helps determine what filler metal to use for a particular application. For example the user of the software would type in the material being joined and it would bring up suggested filler materials.
Parent - By kuppuWeld (*) Date 08-26-2005 02:45
Hi Donnie,

i am welding engineer from india.we are in synergy.Presently i am working on development of software which needs only customer requirement has to be filled.other things will be given by my software.If i would have been given a provision to work with you, I would like to do it in your premises.

Bye,

kuppuweld
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 08-26-2005 02:56
[deleted]
Parent - - By jerrykroll (**) Date 08-26-2005 12:07
there is an old DOS program that was produced by the "American Welding Institute" named WELDSELECTOR that did a very nice job for narrowing down filler choices/selections.

Also - I am aware of an excellent program from Davignon Industries called FILLER2 that not only lets you pick dissimilar base metals from a data base of over 4,000 to find suitable filler, it allows you to select the process, filler diameter., complete and detailed joint design, position, etc - and then does a cost analysis with deposition rates, etc, etc.

Yes, a formal WPS should always be performed when required, but programs such as these can head you in the right direction pronto., especially when working with metals that you are not familiar with, including some of the proprietary metals.

Also - Once you are headed in the right direction you can use other references and resources to confirm.
Parent - By donnielaron Date 08-26-2005 13:26
We perform all of our work in accordance with ASME Sec I,VIII, B31.1, and B31.3. All of our WPS are qualified in accordance with Sec. IX but we get such odd ball materials in here and need a quick way of determining filler metals for the uncommon stuff without spending all our time trying to research it. Most of the time the odd ball stuff will fit in the P and F numbers specifications of WPS's already qualified but its determining the NiCr3's or NiCu7's or NiCrMo3's for example. See what i'm getting at. And that last asshole that replied to this obviously hasn't spent too much time qualifying WPS's and PQR's cause if he had he'd know that it is a very expensive process and if you can match P and F numbers you just may already have a process in place. But any ways thanks for your input i'll check out your suggestions. Thanks
Parent - - By donnielaron Date 08-26-2005 13:27
[deleted]
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 08-26-2005 14:28

You and your attitude need to look some else for your answer because the only answer you will get here is the correct answer.

MBSims answer was just that. If you are as COMPETENT as you make out, you would know the answer before you ask.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-26-2005 16:25
Guy's as a casual viewer who hasn't responded, I think there is blame on both sides.

I think Marty's response was a bit demeaning, on the other hand profanity and name-calling isn't tolerated in the Forum. Better shape up or your postings will be deleted and you will be banned. There's no need for it, we're professionals, let's act like it!

I understand what donnielaron is looking for and it would be a good tool, I've seen one I just can't remember where.
Parent - - By donnielaron Date 08-26-2005 23:56
I agree with you. I apologize to all but this is supposed to be proffesionals helping proffesionals and it just hit me wrong. But for anyone interested the Programs that Jerry Kroll suggested seem to be just what i'm looking for. or at least the Filler2 program. At a glance and if it should save me quite a bit of time and money.
Parent - By jerrykroll (**) Date 08-27-2005 21:49
FYI
http://www.filler2.com

also handy for common steels is
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/c150.pdf - size 217.3K

PS
view the lincoln pdf in side by side/ facing (2 page view) as table goes across 2 pages.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / filler metal selection