Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / QAQC Manager Pay Scae
- - By firstpass (**) Date 08-26-2005 18:17
What is a normal rate for a QAQC Manager. The labor statistics lists only inpectors for respective areas Ranging from 45,000 to 70,000.
What is a fair wage for a manager. Any suggestions
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-26-2005 18:29
Probably depends on location (and particular industry), like so many other things. Construction always tends to pay higher but the work is usually duration specific and naturally a willingness to travel is dictated. Manufacturing probably pays among the lowest but one can be home every night. I have seen QA/QC Manager jobs on Monster.com go as high as $115K but suspect those were pretty darned selective.
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 08-26-2005 19:48
AISC has a Management Compensation Survey. I have a copy from 2001 that lists survey results for small to large companies and average salaries/bonuses/total compensation ranging from $30K to $90K. The lowest reported is $21.5K and and highest reported is $141K. Contact AISC for a current survey.

Your numbers sound in the range one could expect. I would suspect that you should be able to negotiate with a potential employer based upon your experience, capabilities, the expected responsibilities and the area going rate.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-26-2005 19:59
That goes pretty high, much higher than I would have expected. I'm wondering if those QA/QC Management jobs showing to be $141K were in our particular field? I might have to think about changing professions at that salary!!!
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 08-27-2005 05:10
I am a QC manager at a bridge item manufacturer.

I do not make the 45000-75000 quoted. Wish I did.

I make a bit less.

But then, I do not travel. I do not eat in restaurants. No hotels. No perdiem. No expense reports. And so on.

Am I better off??

Depends on your priorities, but I think so.

brande
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 08-27-2005 06:50
The only time I've seen QA/QC Managers making over 120k was in remote locations overseas.
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 08-29-2005 12:15
Just to clarify, the AVERAGE salaries quoted in the survey were in the $30K to $90K range. That was also for a span of businesses from the annual earnings under $5M range to a company with annual earnings over $30M. I am sure that the $141K listed as highest had a special circumstance to justify it being so high. Also, I am sure that it helped pull the average up also since it was part of the group being averaged.

I do not know what the job description elsewhere is for a QA/QC Manager, but here, I am responsible for ALL aspects of the quality of all steel that leaves our shop. In other words, if there is a call from the field, I am probably the first person responsible for any error that left our shop and made it to the field. No back charges attributable to the steel shop is my goal (I am sure I am jinxing myself by boasting, but none for almost 2 years now except detailing errors which I cannot control). I am to assure we meet all job specifications, codes, etc., as well as train and oversee other people performing any inspections. I also try to find ways for us to do things easier and more profitably as long as we still meet the applicable codes and standards. I also perform NDE and any other jobs or projects my boss calls for. Additionally, I continually am learning (from you guys and other sources) to keep up to date on any new codes, etc. that will affect the future of structural steel fabrication at our shop. I do travel some as I am looked at as the structural steel representative for our division of our mother construction contractor firm (we are a division of a design/build contractor which owns its own steel shop; in other words, the mother is 99% of our business). I have just broken into the bottom of the $45K to $75K salary range. Considering the upper hourly guys in our shop easily make more than I do when we work any overtime (about half the time) with a lot less responsibilities, that can be depressing since they just hit the clock when the day is over with no more cares for our company until the new day comes. I am working hard so that I may earn a higher salary in the future as I look at my job as very important to the profitability to our division. I think that you other guys in the same position as I ought to be earning in that range also. No, we do not directly contribute to production, but without us doing our jobs efficiently and competently, the efforts of production would be partly wasted. Our job is no less important than any project manager or production manager that also has their important place on the team. Our value to the bottom line is to assure, verify and document that production has done their job as profitably as they can and still meet the minimum requirements of the client. The better we do our job, the more profitable the effort. Our field is a specialty that, when done properly, is hard to fill. Simple supply and demand says that we should be worth more than bottom rate pay.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-30-2005 12:18
Brande,
Ditto here ,except that I'm a QC manager along with many other titles at a Structural Steel (building) fabricator instead of a bridge shop.
John Wright
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 09-11-2005 05:17
John-I'm in the same boat as you.

Yes, I do the normal things a QC is supposed to do.

Additionally, I crank and bitch when things are wrong-not up to code.

I do get a chuckle from time to time, when my employers look to me for some "magic bullet" to get through some situation.

Codes are written, adherance is required. No brain science here.

Good luck

brande

Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-11-2005 11:32
John and brande, the only addition I would like to add is this; for MANY requirements, there are also loopholes. As a Welding Engineer, I often find myself seeking the "legal" loopholes for code issues. When I was a QA Manager, I found my employer really appreciated me trying to find solutions to problems rather than simply saying "theres a problem."
Parent - By qcmike (**) Date 09-16-2005 18:26
Location Location Location

That doesn't say enough about salary requirements. I live in MA and the average house cost is well over $425,000. That's close to or over a $3,000 a month mortgage.

You must strongly consider location when negotiating an acceptable salary.

Any CWI's want to move to Boston e-mail me at qcmike@comcast.net.

Mike
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 10-16-2005 01:56
Hi
I know this is a late reply, but I didn''t notice many volunteering their salary. humm
Anyway, my duties include Safety and constructability as well as co-ordinating contracted work. We also have a core team of self-perform construction workers.
Sometimes I wonder how I get such a well rounded responsibility, but that keeps life interesting.
I am a 10 year CWI and aside from Inspections, I also Qualify welders by typical bend tests etc. field Inspections and so on.
salary is in the range " presently" 62k +
Like everyone else, always looking for more.
Take care
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / QAQC Manager Pay Scae