Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Ceramic Back-up
- - By - Date 11-16-2000 03:00
I am looking for some information on the use of ceramic backing on structural pipe welds. The pipe in question is 3/4" thick, 18 inch diameter, welded with gas shielded FCAW. The fabricator has suggested welding this with ceramic backing, 1/4" gap and 45 degree bevel angle. I have not come across the use of ceramic backing before and wonder if anyone can offer advice or information on this tyoe of backing
Parent - By - Date 11-17-2000 17:24
I RECENTLY RECIEVED SOME INFORMATION ON CERAMIC BACKING MATERIAL CALLED REFRAC-T-BACK , FROM ESAB CORP. , web site www.esab.com , i couldn't find any information on the web site so i e-mailed them at JSites@esab.com & requested any information they had available.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-17-2000 20:57
Refrac-T-Back by ALLOY RODS , ESAB Welding and Cutting Products is the information from the box I have in front of me. These people make ceramic backing in some unusual configurations and some can be applied to an inside diameter. Another product you can check is called "Cerbaco". Don't have their address but they are probably on the 'net.

Most of these ceramic backings are in tape form with self-adhesive side strips on them. Are you thinking of using this for full length pipe sections? If you are, then I don't see how you can conveniently apply the tape on the inside of the pipe. Maybe something else is available besides the tape version. And then I presume you would need to remove the tape and pieces of ceramic after the weld is finished.

If you have good access to both sides of the joint then the ceramic should work very nicely.

CHGuilford

Parent - By - Date 11-22-2000 17:14
I also do not see how ceramic backing strips could be used on pipe as the ceramic would not go with the curve of the ID of the pipe or be able to get a tight fit up with the tape. A 1/4 gap would be the mininim used on structural members, plate, beams. See'ing how you could not remove the ceramic backing strips to grind off the knots and ceramic that is adhered to the root. If they make a ceramic backing strip for pipe I do not know. It would probably be more cost effective to tack a backing strip on the ID and make the welds and be semi assured of getting an acceptable weld.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Ceramic Back-up