Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / SWPS
- - By firstpass (**) Date 08-27-2005 20:34
i recently reviewed the B2.1: 2005 and I found out that according to 2.2.1 Procedures permitted for use without employer qualification tests shall be limited to AWS Standard Welding Procedure Specification.

Question? Where do the prequalified joints come in to the picture. If I understand the statement they are out. Could someone please clarify this issue.
Parent - - By jerrykroll (**) Date 08-29-2005 18:45
Here is where you will find all of the SWP's available.

http://global.ihs.com

Type B2.1 into the document number search box

Each SWPS in my experience will individually list/show the joints qualified

I think this is what you were looking for ?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-29-2005 19:25
firstpass: I would proceed a little cautiously, unless I'm mistaken, there ARE some tests required to use B2.1 SWPS, even though they may be only performance qualification related instead of procedure qualification related. If you want some excellent insight into B2.1 SWPS, check out this website: www.sperkoengineering.com

I think it would be well worth your time to see what is said about SWPS in the above website!
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 08-31-2005 14:53
Jon - If I read Mr. Sperko's comments correctly, Section IX now requires test welds for pre-qualified procedures. This wasn't the case before, was it? I am running into a lot of angry folks who now have to "pre-qualify" before they are allowed to use a pre-qualified procedure, as listed in Appendix E of ASME IX.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-31-2005 15:04
I believe it's only necessary to test one welder using the SWPS, not really the same as qualifying the procedure...
Parent - By jerrykroll (**) Date 08-31-2005 15:15
haven't looked at the latest edition of B21-2005, but if it's like ASME IX Article V, the SWPS can be used with bend tests or RT only ala Welder Qualification. No tensiles required. Also not valid if impact values required.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-01-2005 17:24
A response from Mr. Sperko reads as follows:

"The reason that we require effectively "one welder qualification" when one adopts an SWPS is to be sure that those responsible for enforcing it understand it and can see that it's followed."

This, to me, makes perfect sense considering SWPS' are purchased items rather than company "qualified" procedures.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / SWPS