Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certification Info
- - By Bubba_Brandy Date 08-28-2005 07:44
I have a few questions. I am writing on behalf of my husband who is deployed so please forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I am talking about. My husband wanted me to find out some info on getting certified in welding. He was certified about 9 years ago but not through AWS. He is wanting to know if there are any prerequisites to getting certified or if you can just go and take the tests. If there are prerequisites, how can I find them? By prerequisites, I mean classes, training, etc. We are both active duty Marines and are looking to get out in a little under 3 years. He wants to be prepared when we get out. He loves welding and wants to get back into it. I searched all over the internet for information and coulding find much (probably because I don't know exactly what to look for). If anyone one has some good information, links or just able to steer us in the right direction, it would be appreciated more than you would ever know. Thanks in advance for the help.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-28-2005 20:57
Hi Bubba Brandy!

It would be an honor for not only myself, but also just about everyone else who frequents this forum to happily assist you in anyway we can!

I would first like to express to you and your husband my heartfelt and sincere appreciation for all the hard, selfless work you all do everyday in defending our freedom here at home, whether you're here or deployed abroad!!!

Now that I've expressed my personal appreciation to you and your husband, please let me try to answer some of your questions...

As far as your first question is concerned, you may get differing views on whether or not you need to meet a set of prerequisites or not in order to take the test(s) for certification... Some companies require some sort of formal training and or experience, while others do not if your husband can prove his practical proficiency in qualifying a single or a set of welding test procedures, or he can just show that he can weld enough to satisfy their requirements, and his desire is to seek employment immediately after he gets out of the service.

He can also contact a local NDT testing lab and get certified to a specific set of welding procedures that will at least get his foot in the door. Depending on how much your husband wants to invest, these tests are not free so, expect to pay anywhere from $75 to $300 for a test depending on what test he wants to take, Keep in mind that just because he's certified, does'nt guarantee him an immediate high paying job! Also, even if he's hired, he may have to qualify/certify to the company's own set of welding procedures that are for covering other codes or standards. Most companies (that pay a decent starting wage) hiring today are looking for people with documented experience first, certifications second.

My question to you is: has your husband had any practice welding on a variety of metals lately? The reason I ask is because, a welder needs a certain amount of practice in order to achieve and maintain a level of proficiency that's necessary in order to successfully pass most of the practical qualification/certification tests that are being given in a wide variety of industries where welding is involved.

Because your husband is a veteran, he should'nt have a problem at obtaining an apprenticeship in one of the construction unions that offer such programs... The Ironworkers, Boilermakers, UA Pipefitters/Steamfitters, Sheetmetal workers are just some of the unions that are offering these apprenticeships which usually require four to five years in order to complete so that your husband will then become a journeyman mechanic. Keep in mind that during his apprenticeship he will become certified/qualified via training through the union's own training programs or through the company's training programs that have been approved by the union. these training facilities will be located either at one of the union local training facilities or at one of the approved local community colleges depending on where you live.

If you want to find out more about these apprenticeship programs,
do a Google search online by entering in the keywords: Pipefitters or Steamfitters, etc. or any of the other unions I listed above.

Remember, not everyone can become a Marine so, do'nt feel bad because you could'nt find this info on your own... There is no letter "I" in the word TEAM so, here is another team besides the one you're already on to help out, and there are some retired marines, and sailors, submariners here always willing to help out our brothers and sisters in arms.

I'm sure that others will chime in besides myself with some excellent suggestions and, I'll try to get back ASAP with some links to post so, I wish you the best, and join in the many that will be praying for your husband's safe return HOME!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-30-2005 07:09
No need to worry just yet. If you test now the certs will expire before you get out unless your military job involves welding.

I don't know but perhaps the navy will help you with this. Lots of ex navy welders (like ssbn727) post here, perhaps they will comment on this possibility.
Bill
Parent - By gonzaloivan Date 09-20-2005 16:18
i want to know the level of welders and inspectors to certify
Parent - By gonzaloivan Date 09-20-2005 15:57
hola le saludo desde el salvador, actualmente estoy realizando un trabajo de graduacion, donde estoy investigando sobre lña certificaion en el salvadro se los soldadores, mi consulta es que categorias d e soldadores para certificar y al mismo tiempo los inspectores. que recomendaciones me da
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certification Info