Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT
- - By bonzai_4 Date 09-01-2005 16:52
Is a CWI qualified to to NDT? I have been told they are qualified to do all but interpret x-ray, is this correct?
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 09-01-2005 17:16
The only nondestructive examination that a CWI is qualified to perform is Visual Inspection.
Parent - - By Bill Mc (**) Date 09-01-2005 17:22
I agree with QCCWI-
While the CWI test does include questions regarding and require some body of knowledge associated with NDT of weldments, it does not automatically qualify the individual to perform any other NDT methods.

NDT qualification and certification is performed by an employer in accordance to a written procedure, outlined in the recommended practice "SNT-TC-1A" by the American Society of Non-Destructive Testing.

From the above document: "Qualification": demonstrated skill and knowledge and documented training and experience required for personnel to properly perform the duties of a specific job".
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-01-2005 19:06
bonzai_4, I truly don't mean this as an insult, so please don't take it as such, but looking at your occupation I would have hoped that you might have already known the answer to the question you asked before you asked it....
Parent - By - Date 09-01-2005 19:24
I certainly have to agree with Jon.
Parent - - By - Date 09-02-2005 12:55
To further add to what QCCWI has said, it also depends on the industry you are working in. For example, in the commercial structural steel world (projects built in accordance with AWS D1.1 or AWS D1.5, for instance), a CWI is by definition qualified to perform VT and only VT. In the nuclear (for example on pipe or hangars) or defense industries that is not the case, and a person with a CWI may require additional training and will certainly require additional certification examinations to become certified to do VT.
Mankenberg
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 09-03-2005 03:29
AWS and ASNT are two separate certifying agencies.
Having a CWI does not qualify you to perform NDT. How can a person with a CWI understand the theory and prnciples of Ultrasonics or Radiation?
At the same time having a NDT cert does not qualify you to inspect welds. You must have the approriate certs and experience.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT