Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / heat tints on stainless steel
- - By dannyparker Date 09-09-2005 10:49
Hello Everyone
Do any of you know how the rainbow heat tint was applied to the muffler shell shown in the following link?

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/91/6534

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Parent - - By backpurge (*) Date 09-09-2005 13:18
Simply by heating it up which destroys the passive surface layer and allows metallic oxides to form on the surface
Parent - By - Date 09-09-2005 20:43
That is so true That color is actually the chromium depleted oxide layer that is necessary for corrosion protection. The reason for the different colors is because the heat coming right out of the head is more prominent the closer to the head. As the heat dissipates farther down the muffler, the color will change because the heat is less farther down the muffler.

Chuck
Parent - - By dannyparker Date 09-09-2005 22:02
So it may be posible to do this with say, a simple gas torch? If I held the torch in the centre and bottom of the tube with the tube vertical?
I guess I'll just have to try.
If this destroys the chromium layer, will the shell oxidise significantly in time?
Parent - By - Date 09-09-2005 23:20
Hi Danny,
Sure, a gas torch will cause the metal to oxidize if sufficient temperature is reached. Like we said, that color is a chromium depleted oxide layer. It will stay a chromium depleted oxide layer until it is removed. This being a motorcycle muffler ( I ride them too, well, not your kind but H-D's) and the muffler's are not all that thick, so your muffler is going to stay discolored throughout. The chromium depleted oxides are only on the surface, but the muffler will stay discolored all the way through. The heat from a motorcycle exhaust is not quite as high as the heat from the welding process, and that is what determines the thickness of the oxide layer. Sorry, that's just the nature of the beast. On my M/C the heat tint is only where the pipes bend coming right out of the head so I put heat shields on mine to hide that color. Now, you can't even tell it. :-)

Chuck

Chuck
Parent - - By awill4wd (**) Date 09-10-2005 05:01
Hey guys, not too much chromium content in Titanium if you would like to check the link again.
It is however, Titanium oxidisation
Regards Andrew.
Parent - By dannyparker Date 09-10-2005 05:36
Yea saw that. The same effect is also applied to stainless steel muffler shells. It's just that that was the only example I could find.
Parent - By - Date 09-10-2005 12:01
From what I gathered, this titanium "scorched" muffler is not made out of all titanium. Good luck buying a titanium muffler for $329.00, or whatever it is in English pounds. I paid more than that for my stainless steel plated mufflers for my M/C, and titanium is just a little more expensive than SS.

Chuck
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-10-2005 07:11
Skeptic that I am it wouldn't suprise me if it was applied with the micron logo and consisted of some sort of dye.
Bill
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-10-2005 11:07

Back when I had an ear ring and a pony tail I used to do some titanium sculpting and jewlry making.

While you can heat tint Titanium and create really cool colors, most decorative works these days are done with an electro chemical bath. It's pretty hard to produce consistant color with Ti oxides with heat and atmosphere unless you spend huge amounts on a chamber and the inert gas to fill it. Here is a good link that tells a bit about refractive metal tinting http://pubs.acs.org/cen/80th/niobium.html

The tint on those mufflers on the above link was not produced on the bike.. My guess is that those are just little sheet metal covers wrapped around the real mufflers and the tint was applied in a similar fashion to these creepy nose rings http://nitrous.zoovy.com/product/FRISBY?META=froogle-FRISBY

They draw the metal slowly out of the electrochemical bath while increasing or decreasing voltage in order to produce a consistant variety of colors and transitions.

I did my work with a WP 20 water cooled torch, a 4 inch by 6 inch copper argon purge plate and a really big custom cup that drank about 45 cfh but could hold a 1 inch stickout.

Parent - - By - Date 09-10-2005 12:11
Lawrence,
Sounds reasonable to me. The Micro + Carbon Oval muffler is only $5.00 less than the Micro + Titanium Scorched Oval muffler. Makes one wonder just how much titanium is actually in this muffler.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-10-2005 12:40

Well,

347 stainless has it's niobium and titanium stabalized versions.. Prolly it's one of those
Parent - By - Date 09-10-2005 14:07
Very well could be. I guess the topic of this thread, "heat tints of stainless steel" was a little misinforming. I agree with you, it is probably stabilized with titanium and is advertised as such.

Chuck
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / heat tints on stainless steel