Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI; IS IT WORTH IT ??
- - By GAS LENS Date 09-17-2005 21:31
Hello, Im new here, but Im not new to AWS-CWI. I was CWI certified in late 80's expired in early 90's. The CWI program was in its infancy and not recognized as other inspection credentials such as A.S.N.T. etc. As a result I never worked as a CWI, but had been a pipewelder of great success. In recent years I've seen a lot of demand for AWS-CWI's and it seems to have grown in popularity as an industry standard.

My question, is it worth it to dump between $1500 and $2000 now for me to become certified again for what once costed me $200 total ($125 for the exam, and about $75 worth of books) back then??

I never renewed my cert status because of the lack of the CWI being recognized as a hiring credential as compared to others. Its just like starting all over again as if Id never been a CWI. AWS does not credit in any way a cert that old.

Are there CWI's struggling to find work?
Is there more supply than demand, an overcrowded market ?
How much more difficult is the test now?
Is it worth sinking that much money $700 something for the test, maybe that much for the books?
Parent - By dlmann (**) Date 09-17-2005 23:11
If you are lucky enough to work for a company who will pay for the course and exam, Yes its worth it.

If you have to pay for it out of pocket, Yes its worth it.

You've been around long enough to know what a CWI and a welder does on the job. I think both can make the same in their respective industries. Which one do you want to do?
Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-18-2005 13:51
I went through a similar set of events. It has always been easier to find jobs as a pipe or tube welder. The advantages of being a CWI where I live are due to the fact that there are two large steel fabricators. Even with that, I have secured work as a 3rd party inspector WITHOUT current certification. I have also missed out on some work.

I just wasn't able to justify the expense for the 3 year fee along with the 9 year retest. It all depends upon what is available.

I work as a CAD draftsman with other misc duties now and have little to nothing to do with welding during my daily job so I don't really have any idea of what is currently out there .

Gerald

Parent - By henri (*) Date 09-21-2005 10:25
I do not know about other industries but to inspect welds used in connections on structural steel buildings it is becoming very essential to obtain CWI certification. If you reside in the west, I'd back it up with ICC certification in structural steel/welding because of the bolting and blueprint reading aspect of the job. Armed with both, you can't go wrong, that is, if you reside in a western state.
Parent - - By KAJUN1 (*) Date 09-21-2005 12:27
I've been inspecting for 15 yrs. I'll renew my CWI this Nov. for the last time, only because my employer is paying for it. You can make some good money at this if you want to travel. I've had enough of the road, it's not like it use to be.It'll be hard to change trade at 52 but I'm looking forward to it.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 09-21-2005 14:30
The demand is high in the southwest right now. I'd think it would be almost as cyclical as the welding work though.
We had some work RT'd last month and that particular company had jumped from 11 guys in the weld inspection department to 32 in a short time and they were working very long hours to keep up. A few weeks later we had some UT done with another company in a neighboring state and that guy had about the same story, overcome with work.

JTMcC
Parent - - By GAS LENS Date 09-21-2005 21:42
Any body got any leftover study material for a reasonable price. I just cant understand a 344 page book "WIT-T" costing $268 for an inspector who might make $50,000 per year.

A "Physcian's Desk Reference" which your life could depend on has 3000 pages and only cost $100, available to doctors who make between $100,000 and 500,000 a year.
Parent - By henri (*) Date 09-22-2005 00:55
Typically the price for an item goes down when the number of people who purchase it goes up. There are a lot more physicians than welding inspectors; a couple of hundred thousand of them.

Try thcqci's link http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=5070
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 09-22-2005 14:49
Yes I do. See above link and e-mail me if you are interested.

And yes, having a CWI is worth it to me. I would not have the job I have without it. Have a few other letters I can add to my resume and feel almost were worth it. You can rarely have too many skills to offer a potential employer or client.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI; IS IT WORTH IT ??