Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advice about mig machine.
- - By Geoffroy Date 09-18-2005 02:00
I'm not a professionnal but I do serious welding jobs ( mostly trailers build ) . I saw on Ebay a Mig machine build by Chicago Electric. Also I saw a other one build by Deca. I would like to have your advice about the quality of these machines. I know is not Miller, Hobbart or Canox but I don't have money to buy machine build by these company.

Thank you for your advise
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 09-18-2005 18:14
Save your money, get a good machine, or you'll have regrets later. I own a millermatic 210 and would recomend nothing less.
Parent - By leon phelps (**) Date 09-19-2005 16:39
The cheap machines are junk. For close to a thousand, you can buy a name brand reliable welder. You will also be able to buy parts and consumables for the name brand. Most times when you need replacement parts, the el-cheapo welders are either discontinued or out of business.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-20-2005 05:27
Stick process machines are simpler and hence cheaper and mostly last forever. Trailer building is a good fit to these machines. A good hand can make a fine job of it. If you go that way you will probably still own the machine so you can teach your grandkids to weld with it.
bill
Parent - - By Geoffroy Date 09-21-2005 02:08
I know stick machine is simpler. It is what I use actually but my machine is dead and I look to buy a other welding machine. I think I will buy a other stick machine and I will save money to buy a good mig machine.

What are best MIG machine, Miller, Lincoln electric, Hobart, Canox ?
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 09-22-2005 02:35
The name on the machine is, like ford vs. chevy vs. dodge. I like miller own a mig and a tig and would recomend them highly. I own a millermatic 210, super machine very durable and dependable. in 2 1/2 years I have used over 200 lbs of wire and I don't do it for a living just repair work and the occasional fab job.

Advise to you, test drive all the models in the capacity you think you want and make the decision on the model that suits you best. Each welder welds differently as does the operator work differently, so find what you like and don't regret waiting.

Peace,
pjs
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advice about mig machine.