Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Purging SS pipe 18"
- - By gsi (**) Date 09-19-2005 15:39
We recently fabricated some 18" pipe from plate. We had no success in getting a good purge on the long seams and circ weld we had to make. We used a 37-½ degree bevel , GTAW for the root and FCAW for the fill and cap. On the long seam small sections of pipe were capped off ( 5 ' approx.). Purge time was about 1 ½ @ 15 cfh. We had no success with this and ended up back grind the weld. On the circ seam the area was closed off for about one foot on the ID. 6” on both side of the joint, purge time was 30 minutes @ 15 cfh. This also was not successful. What did we do wrong ?
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 09-19-2005 16:49
GSI,
istead of trying to strickly go off of purge time, use a O2 meter of some kind. I have use regular O2 meters in the past, but they make meters just for purging. Do a google search, and you will see many different ones.
Jim
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-19-2005 17:12
Dave, I agree with Jim Hughes. To be absolutely certain an oxygen analyser should be used.

I am looking at my own purge procedure and for the flow rate you mentioned, MY procedure say's you should be allowing a purge time of 48 minutes per linear foot. I assume the 1-1/2 you mentioned was hours but ya must have forgot to state that! In any case, if your guys were working in our shop and using 15 psi for the purge, you would be waiting 4 hours before being allowed to weld!

I don't know about anyone else but I crank the psi way up for the first 1/2 of the time, just to speed things up a little. You also didn't say what position the joint was in, I am assuming it was in the flat (1G). At what location did you place your vent?
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 09-19-2005 19:33
Jon,

that's what I do also. Crank up the flow to speed up the process, but to be absolutely sure use a O2 analyser. If this is a plant of some kind usually the safety dept. or opperations would have a O2 analyser for checking confined spaces, but you can buy purge meters.
Jim
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-19-2005 19:42
Yep, very cool. Another trick for those "ultra-cheapie" shops is to hold a cigarette lighter over the vent hole!
Parent - - By - Date 09-19-2005 20:19
GSI,
Jim and Jon gave you very sound and practical advice regarding your situation. These guys have been around long enough to know most all of the "tricks of the trade", and it would be advisable to heed their comments. Thank you...

Chuck
Parent - - By backpurge (*) Date 09-26-2005 08:41
What was the parent material?
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-27-2005 00:27
Chuck,Jim,Jon,
No laughing now but how would welding the seam in the 4G position work in relation to length of time to purge?As you are well aware the Argon is heavier than the air,so as long as you had the purge inlet at the very bottom and the outlet at the very top you could almost start straight away.I realise it is much more uncomfortable but a good tig welder who is "walking the cup" would not have too much trouble.Even halfway between 3G and 4G would mean you would only have to purge the bottom 1/3 and not the whole pipe.
Regards,
Shane Feder
Parent - By - Date 09-27-2005 00:51
Shane,
The rush of air from the TIG torch will affect the inside purge so that it could blow away the argon and displace it with oxygen.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-27-2005 13:29
Shane, maybe just the differences in time zones, lol... but I'm sure you meant to say 5G instead of 4G? If the axis of the pipe is running horizontal and the joint running vertical we call that 5G, turn the pipe vertical with the joint running horizontal and we call that 2G. Also, there aren't any 3G in the piping world (at least here in the USA). There are of course 1G and 6G positions but I'm probably spending too much time correcting what may be just an editorial error!

If welding in a 5G, I would still allow sufficient time for the purge to be complete even though argon is heavier than air. I am not laughing as there may be some merit to the scenario you pose, but why risk it? As Chuck points out a molten puddle is easily contaminated as I'm sure you're aware. Also, in my own experience, I've seldom seen the purge line a dead bottom, I know I haven't seen it all but just relating to what I have... in a shop fabrication they would probably poke the purge line through a plastic end cap or similar closure device.

In any case, the original posting was discussing the fabrication of pipe from plate material and I would nearly bet my bottom dollar that they were welding with the longitudinal seam in the flat position, if they weren't then they probably need more help than can be offered in the Forum.... ;-)
Parent - - By gsi (**) Date 09-27-2005 13:53
Thanks for everyone’s comments. I feel that we have come to a conclusion with this problem the O2 meter is the way to go. All
Longitudinal seam were welded in the 1G position, circ seams in the 5G.:)
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-27-2005 14:30
Good job, gsi! Lot's of luck for future fabs!
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-27-2005 22:05
Gidday Jon,
No I meant to say 4G. The original post was dealing with circ and longtitudinal welds and the time to purge the pipe.I didn't even mention the circ welds as they are pretty basic and you would obviously use purge dams or "rice"paper.
The problem appeared to be the long seams, that is why I suggested the 4G position.I probably should have suggested welding between 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock and not 3G and 4G (should have been 2G and 4G)but the general idea was to be welding in the bottom half of pipe.
One would think that welding in the 1G position would be the worse scenario for purging as the top of the pipe is the very last area the oxygen inhabits prior to being pushed out by the argon.
I probably didn't explain myself properly in the post.
Regarding the 3G on pipe I have to respectfully disagree. I realise there is no officially recognised 3G position in pipe!
However I have welded hundreds of pipe root runs with either STT pulsed GMAW or 6010 cellulose in the 3 o'clock position using electric rotaters.
This cannot be classed as 5G rotated, would it not be classed as 3G rotated.?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-28-2005 09:56
Hi Shane; I do agree the 1G is the worst scenario with regard to purge; i.e., last place purge becomes effective, but suggested 1G being the best position because of ease for the welder. Most longitudinal seams I am familiar with have pretty strict NDE requirements so my thoughts were purely regarding volumetric weld quality. As for the positions, my focusing on the definitions in your previous message was probably inappropriate and I apologise for that. As you clarified, even though the positions mentioned aren't officially recognised, your logic in explaining them makes sense.
Parent - By gsi (**) Date 09-28-2005 17:49
Shane,
Just to be a little more specific on the actual area or position the weld was deposited. We rotated the long seam down around the side of the pipe. And all welding in the 5G was deposited around 2 to 3 o'clock position. It’s nice to see other people thinking the same thing. Thanks Shane !
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Purging SS pipe 18"